Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
What does it cost to freshen up Merc 575's? >

What does it cost to freshen up Merc 575's?

Notices

What does it cost to freshen up Merc 575's?

Old 09-13-2004, 10:35 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,993 Likes on 995 Posts
Default Re: What does it cost to freshen up Merc 575's?

Probably somwhere in the 3-5k range per engine.
Old 09-13-2004, 10:44 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 886 Likes on 412 Posts

Griff,i am freshening my 540 built similar to a hp 500,i am probably changing the heads completely but if i wasn't i was figureing
1.new inconel valves,retainers and locks
2.new springs
3.valve job
4.rocker arms
5.Hyd roller lifters
6.Cam ,rod,mn brgs
7.gskts,seals,rings,oil pump
8.hone block
And then anything else that shows any wear(piston's if worn),turn or polish crank,check rods etc
During a professional "freshen Job" do most engine builders for marine motors go further in what they replace even if the parts still look good?(wrist pins,pistons,rods,Crank)Thanks,Smitty
Old 09-13-2004, 10:46 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Griff
Probably somwhere in the 3-5k range per engine.

i would think at least that if it includes R&R too.. i would expect 5k per motor as long as it still has all the parts on the inside and no ventilation holes in the block or pan etc.. ( to go thru whole motor incl r&r and blower etc)

i have some snorting 575 's turned up to about 680hp 690hp and they have 200 hours now,, still runnin awsome,, had some minor bs but all in all they run great,,,
i am going to for sure have blowers gone thru this winter if the motors live thru the next poker run on sat, a few runs out to san francisco the golden gate and beyond,, and after that our season will be over in the fountain. end of october it starts getting chilly. (bayliner time has heaters)

i dont beat em but i do run em. i very easy getting on plane as i am affraid of drive issues, and i ease into the throttle i am not one of those snapper heads that just slams the throttles to the wood. i run it at 3600-5000 most of the time varieng throttle. my rev limitier is set at 5700 and i have not seen that. been to 53-5400..
Old 09-14-2004, 06:38 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Griff
Don't think so.
That's machine work were engine builders so your right if you pay someone else to do the assembly that takes time and bucks.
Old 09-14-2004, 06:45 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm going to have mine rebuilt soon and I'm sure it will be more than 6k. I should have a price by next week.

Who has the best prices for Whipple intercoolers?
Old 09-14-2004, 11:00 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,993 Likes on 995 Posts

There really aren't any "professional" marine engine builders around me. We do have several excellent machine shops that do very good work. I generally tell them what I want done. I haven't had to do a full rebuild in a boat yet. I have completely gone through the top ends on the engines in my last 2 boats. I have found that I can get parts cheaper through Summit and generally order most of my stuff and take it in. My machine shop does not mind.

For the stuff arctic posted in #1-8, its about 2500-3k in parts and machine work. I see no need to replace the other parts listed as long as they check out perfect. For someone else to do the assembly, add another $1000 or so. Then for R&R of the engine and all misc stuff, add another $1000 or so.

Thats how I came up with my guesstimate.

There are a lot of other things that rack up $$$$$ in a hurry. Pistons, having the SC's rebuilt, etc.
Old 09-15-2004, 06:23 AM
krypto 1 in CT

i just had my pro charged hp 500 gone through.it had a rod nock so i decided to go for some better stuff in it.a callies ds 4340 crank,manly rods,bore and hone.30 over with torqe plate,je pistons.internally balanced,ati super dampner,complete new edlebrock aluminum rpm heads.parts/labor and dyno was around 8500 you can probably take off around 4k if your going to stick with your crank/rods/bore and pistons and heads so id say around 4500 from a good shop inc dyno.but you never know what you may need until you open it up.and it matters who you have do it.