Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Programmable ECU's for HP 500 EFI's? >

Programmable ECU's for HP 500 EFI's?

Notices

Programmable ECU's for HP 500 EFI's?

Old 12-23-2001, 12:06 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Programmable ECU's for HP 500 EFI's?

Got a stupid question for you gearheads,
does anyone make a programmable ECU for the HP 500 EFI? I know Merc sets 'em up to run rich, but my oil analysis came back with "fuel dilution" and it was so bad that it took the oil out of specified grade after only 18 engine hours(and no, I didn't idle a whole lot) my oil had 5.5% fuel in it!!! and this was consistently the same in both engines. Someone told me to use extended tip spark plugs for better ignition, but I don't think this will totally cure the problem. I also contacted Tyler Crockett, and he quoted me $250 a piece to reprogram my existing ECU's. Found these on the Summit Racing site: Crane # 6000-6462 for $292 , they're supposedly for marine use, any opinions?
http://www.cranecams.com/ignition/hi6m.htm
Merry Christmas!!!
Paul

[ 12-23-2001: Message edited by: boathead ]
Old 12-23-2001, 05:35 PM
Charter Member #355
Charter Member

Paul, talk to Dustin Whipple about this. He has done a lot of research about the 500EFI and it's computer.
Eric
Old 12-23-2001, 06:14 PM
32' SUNSATION
Platinum Member

I talked to Dustin a few monthe back. And he recomended Jim, at Arizona Speed and Marine.
He probably has the most experience with reprograming.

[ 12-23-2001: Message edited by: Kanookstr ]
Old 12-24-2001, 03:21 PM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Hey boathead,
Something doesnt sound right. If both engines are doing it and the cause is Merc's programing, I would think we would be seeing some major failures out there. Has anyone else experienced this problem, fuel in the oil?? I would think that that the fuel curve would have to be way rich to contaminate the oil. Do you see black transom? And are the plugs reading rich? To swap out your ECU's your are talking some hefty money. I am not sure what you are refering to with the Crane part #'s, but ECU's are much more than that. Have you talked to anyone else about the contamination? Like Dustin or Arizona Speed? I would look a bit further for the cause before finding the cure. Not to say that it isnt happening, but I dont believe the cause is from the fuel curve, we would have heard more about this from other owners. Unless you have tripped across a deep dark secrect of Merc's..
How many times did you have the oil tested? Are they reliable? Any past experience with them?..
Good luck with this one. It may take a bit to figure out what is actually happening. Keep us posted and we'll try to help you work thru the problem..

Dick
Old 12-25-2001, 10:06 AM
Registered

Dick,
I've heard this is happening a lot with the HP 500 EFI's, I've been in contact with Dustin, just sent him some more info on operating conditions, boat size, etc. He's first rate in my book, if I ever decide to supercharge, I know who I'll call ! Boyd Dillon(Cardshark388 on OSO) has the same problem with soot on the transom, although he is trying the extended tip spark plugs to see if they help, but Dustin told me that they won't help except in high altitude conditions and they may cause detonation, he said I could try one heat range hotter plugs, but that the real problem is those ECU's. I also contacted Tyler Crockett and he quoted me $250 a piece to reprogram them . One of the guys at the Smoke On The Water poker run recommended Tyler, said after he redid his ECU's, the transom soot and plug fouling was cured. I don't want to run another season like this!! This was the first oil analysis on these engines, but I have used Oil Analyzers for my Cummins and am satisfied with their work. I think this problem is more widespread than we realize, it's just that people don't think about it until they have an oil analysis done.
Old 12-25-2001, 10:35 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,250 Likes on 543 Posts
What octane fuel are you using? I used 93 in mine to 'baby' it for the first couple fill-ups. Not a good idea. My transom was as black as night. I switched to 87 octane from a reliable gas station, and I have had no problems. The HP500EFI runs cooler, MUCH less soot on the transom, and it's CHEAPER. My mechanic even recommends (reliable, not el cheapo), 87 octane for my '99 HP.

Brian
Old 12-25-2001, 09:13 PM
CAT-DADDY

HAD THE SAME PROBLEMS WITH MY 2001 500 EFI. MARK BOOS AT PRECISION MARINE IN NEW ORLEANS FIXED THEM BT REPROGRAMING MY ECMS. PHONE IS 504-469-7463. MIGHT EVEN PICK UP A COUPLE OF MILES HR.

Old 12-25-2001, 09:14 PM
CAT-DADDY

HAD THE SAME PROBLEMS WITH MY 2001 500 EFI. MARK BOOS AT PRECISION MARINE IN NEW ORLEANS FIXED THEM BT REPROGRAMING MY ECMS. PHONE IS 504-469-7463. MIGHT EVEN PICK UP A COUPLE OF MILES HR.

Old 12-25-2001, 09:47 PM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Well that brought out some good comments!! Looks like it is a common problem.. I would say that Merc screwed up.. you are on the right track then.. I hadnt heard of all this trouble with the 500EFI.
I would think that reprograming would be a much cheaper way to go, rather than new ECU's.
good luck!!

Dick
Old 12-26-2001, 07:58 AM
Registered

Dick,
From what I've heard, they did it to play it safe, they'd rather have a rich rather than a lean condition, I guess a little fuel in the oil and transom soot is better than overheating the block. I'll bet that in certain applications, the ECU's probably work just fine ex: heavier boats like a fountain Sport Cruiser o something. I notice even more soot when I run 89 octane!
Happy Holidays,
Paul

Quick Reply: Programmable ECU's for HP 500 EFI's?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.