Good oil pan for Big Block Chevy's >

Good oil pan for Big Block Chevy's

Notices

Old 09-15-2004, 10:16 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im in the process of building a new BBC 540 and/or repairing a 454 due to a spun front main bearing. All indications point to lack of oil that caused the failure. Engine had low hours and was running a melling high volume pump with mercruiser cast alumn oil pan with 6 quart capacity it has a small baffle cast in it and was running a windage tray over the sump area and pick-up was 3/8" offf bottom of pan. Doesn't appear to be a bad pan but would like to get something better for increased capacity ~10 quart and better oil control. The engine was running a Crane solid roller cam @ 5600rpm and had no oil restrictors installed this may have led to the problem.

What Pans are other people using successfully? Looks llike Gil stopped making pans? Have searched the forums for info on oil pans but turned up little info. Anyone have recommendations?
Old 09-15-2004, 10:23 AM
JON242

Default Re: Good oil pan for Big Block Chevy's

I switched from a Moroso to a Milodon. A little more expensive but much higher quality. I think Jeg's has the marine pan in their catolog.

Old 09-15-2004, 10:52 AM
cstraub69@comcast

You can contact Sterling, Cheif, Keith Eickert, RM Builder, Crocket, Zuel, Marine Assault, all are dealers on our marine offshore pans. 100% USA made, fully fabricated. Available in 10/12/14 qt. I hope this is politcally correct.

Chris
Stef's Performance

Old 09-15-2004, 10:59 AM
Registered

Chris,
Any place I can get pictures and specs on Stef's oil pans? Im particularly interested in windage tray, kickout, and crank scraper options. What has been your experiences on good oil control for wet sump engines in offshore boats?
Old 09-15-2004, 11:33 AM
Registered

I have used Stef's, Avaid and Gil in the past. The Stef's has unbelievable fit and workmanship and I have no plans to use anything else. I currently have 2 on my project motors and nothing can compare.
Old 09-15-2004, 11:35 AM
Registered

www.stefs,com
Old 09-15-2004, 11:39 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by baja208
Chris,
Any place I can get pictures and specs on Stef's oil pans? Im particularly interested in windage tray, kickout, and crank scraper options. What has been your experiences on good oil control for wet sump engines in offshore boats?
I have some pictures that I took recently of one of their pans. They are built like a tank. Definately the last pan you would ever need. E-mail me [email protected] and I will reply with some pics.
Old 09-15-2004, 11:41 AM
MarineKinetics
Platinum Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The fit & finish, R&D (a full line of marine specific pans), engineering, and attention to detail on the Stef's product line is second to none. They are also suppliers to many Cup/Busch/Truck/NHRA teams.
You can order the catalog here that contains the marine wet sump applications.
http://www.stefs.com/
Bob
Old 09-15-2004, 01:10 PM
MarineKinetics
Platinum Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Infomaniac
They are built like a tank. Definately the last pan you would ever need.
As Chris says "Our pans double as engine stands"
Bob
Old 09-15-2004, 01:25 PM
cstraub69@comcast

Baja208,
If I can answer any questions please drop me an e-mail..
[email protected]
Pans incorporate stainless uni-directional windage screens and our proprietory baffling design. Our marine pan engineer Stan K has worked on marine engines all his life and still builds engines today. P-3 won the 2003 Championship with his bullets. So our offshore development work is a work in progress constantly.

Chris

Quick Reply: Good oil pan for Big Block Chevy's

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.