Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Last Oil change for the season .... >

Last Oil change for the season ....

Notices

Last Oil change for the season ....

Old 09-21-2004, 05:57 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: Last Oil change for the season ....

Chris,
I usually pull the fuel filters off and fill them 1/2 way with 2 cycle oil and run it that way.
Old 09-21-2004, 10:09 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As far as condensation on the engine goes...
The air temperature can change much faster than the temperature of a big hunk of iron. Picture a nice cold engine block, then you get a warm day during the winter. When the temperature goes up, usually the humidity goes up too, as well as the dew point (temperature at which water will condense out of the air). The engine block temp will not rise as quickly as the air temp, and if it's below the dew point, water will condense on the block (or in a gas tank). Just like a cold drink "sweats" during the summer. This is why I try to keep the heat on low in my garage during the winter. If I just throw it on in a stone cold garage, my bike, as well as the engines I have on the stands get wet until everything heats up!
Old 09-21-2004, 10:14 PM
Registered

By the way,
I change out my fluids in the fall, not the spring, clean and grease everything, and shoot a light coat of WD40 on the engine. Before I cover it up, I put one of those damp away things in the cabin, and one in the engine bay.
Old 09-22-2004, 07:10 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow Re: Last Oil change for the season ....

Originally Posted by Strip Poker 388
Hydrocruiser why do you crank the motor with fogging oil????

Fogging for storage in the fall I start fogging and watch the blue exhaust smoke for 15 seconds then "flood" the engine with fogging oil to shut down.

Spring. Crank as spraying for 10 seconds.
Old 09-22-2004, 10:37 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Lmarth
Rob-- I'm sure you'll keep us posted as your upgrade progresses. I lost the heat indoor storage I've enjoyed the last four years. Found heated storage closer by and cheaper. The original owner of my boat bought a new toy I'll be parked next to. It's a new 42 Outer Limits with twin 1500hp Sterlings/SSM#6's with a wild paint job. Supposedly has 2 hours on it but looks like it's never been in the water. Lou
Where did the boat come from?
Old 09-22-2004, 10:39 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Hydrocruiser
Fogging for storage in the fall I start fogging and watch the blue exhaust smoke for 15 seconds then "flood" the engine with fogging oil to shut down.

Spring. Crank as spraying for 10 seconds.
Be careful with this. You could hydrolic lock the motor come spring after all that oil runs down the intake.

The last thing I do is change the oil, well drain the oil. I don't refill until spring. Who really cares if there is oil sitting in the pan or not, it's not going to help the motor at all.

To answer the quesiton, don't bother changing in the spring. Unless you start it to get all the condensation down into the pan then change the oil. Why not just drain any water from the bottom of the pan. Since you don't have airflow the air inside the motor all winter, how much condensation is actually inside the motor considering that it's moth balled on cool dry days?

Last edited by mr_velocity; 09-22-2004 at 10:46 AM.
Old 09-22-2004, 01:28 PM
Registered

You probably won't see much condensation inside the motor at all. The air temp will be more stable, and inline with the surrounding metal. Where you'll see the most moisture is on the outside of the block.
That's why I give it a light coat of oil before I pack it away.