Headers or Manifolds ? >

Headers or Manifolds ?

Notices

Headers or Manifolds ?

Old 09-29-2004, 03:45 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Headers or Manifolds ?

Another thing to consider....do you boat in salt?? If so, not good to go with Revolutuions as they are aluminum. If your in salt I think you're stuck with cast or SS.

BadDog, I've also heard Lightning's are good for the money. Around $1700.00??
Old 09-30-2004, 08:57 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

i appreciate all the input....wonder if santa can fit them down the chimney and yes boat is now 100% salt use...unfortunately. luckily when i purchased it its first 5 years of use (160hrs) we are fresh water, but so far knock on wood it has responded well to the salt but then again its flushed after every use...
Old 09-30-2004, 10:37 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lots of comments, but no one mentioned that you will eliminate a "bunch" of weight. Also, you eliminate the water through the wall water joint as in all but brand new style stock Merc manifold/risers. That is, Stainless Marine, and all other performance oriented aftermarket brands use an outside water hose to get water from the manifold to the riser. Most see little speed gain, but you might see more than is considered average due to your particular stock setup. I recommend the long, through transom risers with no additional tips used if you think you will ever change cams. They allow for larger cam selection when reversion is an issue. Use the standard style risers with rubber hose to tips for other applications. Even if you intend on keeping your motors basically stock, the safer water passage and lighter weight will be worth the cost. Not to mention the much better looking setup. There are usually good performance manifolds and risers for sale used and you should have no problem selling your stock setup. I've used Stainless Marine for over ten years and they will probably outlast me. You can pretty much install them and forget about them. Not so with tubes.

Good luck.