Who's blown an outdrive?? >

Who's blown an outdrive??

Notices

Who's blown an outdrive??

Old 09-21-2004, 08:37 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Who's blown an outdrive??

At the boost I was running about 1000HP, Now I know thats too much for standard XR's, but I have a BMAX and the same happened to the lower gears. I drive very carefully, not to break anything. But this is unusual, I would think the upper gears would let go first.

BTW it's a 26' single Vhull about 4500 pounds.
Old 09-21-2004, 06:08 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 882 Likes on 410 Posts

Kaama,i have a baja 272,turnin 30 pitch 4 blade around 5400-5600 rpm's.Powered by 540 w/m-3 procharger,8-10 psi boost. The shaft had roughly 160 hours on it,i stand on throttle coming on plane occasionaly and i've been airborne before under full boost on the msd at 6000 rpm's. I Respect what Jason and aaron are doing with their outdrives(the IMPOSSIBLE),and am in no way bad mouthing them. Even though there is no warranty on anything they sell they had me send the shaft back to them to have analyzed and gave me 1/2 off on a new one, i am a dealer for them(they give me 10 % off on everything) and i put my own drive together with their parts. The strange thing was the shaft broke in the largest section and i was running there standard dia billet prop shaft(it should have broke first). Iv'e been amazed that these things hold together as well as they do,Smitty
When the drive broke this time i ordered another complete one from them while i fixed the old one,the old ones back on the boat and i have the low hour new one for a spare!

Last edited by articfriends; 09-21-2004 at 06:11 PM.
Old 09-21-2004, 06:48 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I blew my XR lower pinion into pieces parts at 100hrs. Shredded the entire drive top to bottom. Always been very gentle getting on plane and moving the throttle. 700hp is apparently too much to go much past 100hrs. Will have it torn down now every 50 hrs for inspection and gear replacements to try and save redoing the entire drive.
Old 09-21-2004, 08:04 PM
Emerald Coast of Florida
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Blew an engine coupler, u-joint and upper gears... The busted u-joint put a nice dent in the case. The shop is still working on the estimate.b
Old 09-21-2004, 08:36 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Zahndok has a REAL good idea,last time my outdrive broke (was the lower vert shaft w/approx 160 hours i mentioned earlier in this thread) the upper xr gears had somewhere around 90-100 hours and the pinion gear had about a .005 thou scallop on the teeth on the load side. I replaced it but the other two gears had no wear pattern at all.I was able to buy just the pinion gear from max machine (they do enough drive work that they could seperate a set). If shaft hadn't broke, the pinion gear probably would have within 20 more hours,so maybe tearing the drive down in hi load apps and discarding gears and bearings as a preventative measure might be a good idea,Smitty
I can see the E-bay ads already:For sale:xr gears, like new,never abused,AS IS,Cheap!!
Old 09-21-2004, 11:22 PM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

articsmitty,

Thanks for the info---you still haven't mention how much power you are making with your engine, but I would guess somewhere between 900-1000+hp. I was curious about the Max Machine hardware because I have purchased some XR size, prop shafts, -2 inch verticle shafts and clutch shafts. I wasn't able to get my boat in the water this past summer so I have not been able to use there stuff yet. I've only got about 65 hours total on my drives thus far and only 15hrs since I replaced the new pinion gears.

I have had "Mr. Gadgets" do the repairs on my drives---he mics EVERYHTING and totally blueprints the drive for assembly. I will probably have him install the new Max Machine parts within two seasons from now depending on how many hours I put in on my boat until then. I have some new -2 inch IMCO shorties and next spring I will be having him install thoses. Out of all the aftermarket Bravo drives parts manufacturers, Max Machine is one that I have heard of the least amount of problems---but then I don't really know how much of their stuff is out there compared to others.

Anyway, I believe in their product so I bought it. I have a lot of water cooling action going on my drives and I choose to use Redline Shockproof drive lube.
Old 09-22-2004, 04:29 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Kaama,i think my hp is closer to 750 but i'm not really sure. I have complete confidence that there is nobody that has superior bravo upgrades to max machine worx parts,Smitty
Old 09-24-2004, 03:09 PM
Registered

Re: Who's blown an outdrive??

Everyone has their opinion of the best drive, but I know who has the best warranty and service. The bravo shop! I sent my Bmax to FL from NY for repair. It was back in 7 Days including trucking time, and they paid for everything including shipping. This weekend I get to do some more boating rather than cutting the grass. How much is that type of service worth to performance boat owners? Thanks Dean!
Old 09-24-2004, 03:23 PM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Konrad's could be sold without a warranty because it won't be needed.

..although they have a fantastic warranty.
Old 09-24-2004, 03:35 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Biggus
Konrad's could be sold without a warranty because it won't be needed.

..although they have a fantastic warranty.

Like I said everyone has an opinion, but don't kid yourself, everything breaks sooner or later. Just be sure someone stands behind whatever you buy. I'm sure glad I did.

Quick Reply: Who's blown an outdrive??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.