alpha shift problem :( >

alpha shift problem :(

Notices

alpha shift problem :(

Old 12-26-2001, 06:07 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Post alpha shift problem :(

Ok. I know how to properly adjust the alpha one shift cable. When I first got my boat the shift cables were bad. I changed the cable, adjusted it and It worked great. Then I had a ujoint go threw the bell housing and bent the cable. I replace all the parts and a new cable. I set the cable at 6" in drive (merc specs) and cannot get this thing to adjust. It will work in EITHIER forward or reverse, but still cant get both to work. Is there something I could be overlooking???
Old 12-26-2001, 08:19 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Try this:

With the engine running and the DRIVE shift cable removed from its' mounting, push and pull the cable by hand to see if the drive will go into forward and reverse. If it does, then the problem is most likely in the shifter cable or its' adjustment. If it still doesn't shift into both gears, then the problem is in the drive or drive cable.
Old 12-26-2001, 09:23 PM
Registered

It does go into both gears. but in the cable adjustment it seems like if you put it in the middle, it wont go into forward or reverse, but you can put it at the far end to get one or the other, but not both....and it worked before....
Old 12-27-2001, 09:26 AM
Registered

Check the shift interrupter adjustment. Doug
Old 12-27-2001, 01:03 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Also, check your shift cable bracket. I had a similar problem, and it ended up being a cracked bracket due to a ham-fisted mechanic.
Old 12-27-2001, 07:38 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

I am a little rusty in Alpha drives, but I seem to remember something about after adjusting the drive cable to 6", get the shift cable to go on the bracket and shift lever smoothly, and then either add or is it remove 4 turns to that brass barrel. I don't remember which direction to turn it.
Old 12-27-2001, 10:21 PM
Registered

Thanks for the info...Ill give it a try...Ill post yall on the results
Old 12-28-2001, 01:56 PM
FASSTplus

Red face

When you changed the cable the second time did you put in a different hole on the shifter lever. Some have more then one hole, giving you more or less throw at the shifter (the closer to the pivit of your shifter the less throw)
just my 2 cents, Good luck

P.S. that mistake has happenned more than once.

Old 12-29-2001, 03:23 AM
Registered

On the shifting bracket, there is an adjustable stud that the cable going to the drive attaches to. If you loosen the stud, you can slide it up or down the slot, effectively changing the throw of the shifter. Too far one way and it will not shift far enough into either gear. The Merc book goes into quite a lot of detail on the ajustment of this animal. I had it down to a science at one time. Good luck
Old 12-29-2001, 06:20 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

It's not a Bravo 1. That's what's wrong with it!!

Are you SURE that when you put the drive back on, you didn't bind or bend the cable again? Had this issue with a ham fisted mechanic many years ago on my first boat.

Seem to be a few ham fists out there eh?

Mike

Quick Reply: alpha shift problem :(

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.