24 Eliminator Daytona >

24 Eliminator Daytona

Notices

24 Eliminator Daytona

Old 09-26-2004, 09:42 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 24 Eliminator Daytona

Thanks for all the support to my recent questions (Carb tuning, exhaust, props...)

The motor is now tuned perfect and I am saving up for some Lightning Headers to install this winter. In the mean time I might as well start looking for what to do after that.

Here is where I am at. I should be running a true 450HP from my built-up 454 mag carb if not 475HP. I have been running a Bravo 1 24" Pitch with good cupping and can only pull 4800 rpm on glass and 4900 rpm with a foot of chop. Topping out at 66 mph on gps (Seems slow for this HP). I know the prop is to big but I don't want to tune it until I get the headers and hopefully few more rpm. If I don't see a pick up I may lab the prop or take some cup out. I was running 68 mph at 5200 rpm with almost no cup.

My biggest propblem at the moment is that boat is very hard to air out with the current setup. Even when running light I can not get it to pack air and lift without a foot of chop or some wakes. I know the answer is horse power and I will get to that but I think I need to work on my drive first. I have a 89 Bravo 1 with original gears. the boat was running low HP until recently and the gears look good (400-hrs on the boat and drives). How it will last with 450-500 HP I don't know. I will baby it so it lasts. The drive it set up with the prop center line 7 1/2" inched below the hull (is this keeping the speed down). The X-Dim is 14.0. I don't think they knew what X-dim was in 89 when the boat was made. I would think there is room for alot of improvement in this area.

Give me some input. Should I go with an XR upgrade to the existing top end and an IMCO 2" shorty? Should I trash it all for a new drive. What would be available to get the prop dimension up? What should I shot for in prop to hull dimension. What would work best for the $ at 500 HP. What would you do if you where going to go for 650 HP in a year or two?

I am looking at Headers this winter, drive upgrades next winter and possibly more HP following that. I need to do this over time and make my money provide the best incremental improvements while still looking towards the future. It all depends on $.

Sorry for the long post and all the questions. There are a lot of experts out there that have the answers so let me know what you think.
Old 09-27-2004, 07:43 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 24 Eliminator Daytona

Vegas, All early 90's and older Daytonas have low x dimensions. I know alot about these because I had a 22 and my friend had a 24. Both boats picked up 8-10 mph on gps by using imco short drives. The current owner of my 22 just installed an imco 3inch raised box (now has standard lower)and steering and has picked up even more. My advise is to do the raised box and steering all at the same time as your headers because you will also have to raise your engine. I know this sounds like alot but I asure you it is almost a must if you ever want the boat to run. You can email me at [email protected] if you have any more questions.