Trim Pumps and Fluid Viscosity.

Notices

Trim Pumps and Fluid Viscosity.

Old 10-05-2004, 04:11 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,249 Likes on 542 Posts
Default Trim Pumps and Fluid Viscosity.

I have 4 stock KK pumps; one for each drive and one for each tab. Like many others, neither of the pairs runs at the same speed, even when using the dual switch to operate both at the same time.

Well, I am a perfectionist, and this just pisses me off.

I am not sure of the viscosity of the oil in the pumps at this time, however, I will probably evacuate all four reservoirs, and start fresh soon. If I put straight weight 30 in the faster pumps, and straight weight 40 in the slower pumps, will this be enough of a weight/viscosity difference to notice a change in pump speed? Or do I need to have a bigger delta figure between the two fluids? What is the safest high and low weights to run in these pumps?

Thanks in advance!
Old 10-06-2004, 12:57 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 139 Likes on 84 Posts
Default Re: Trim Pumps and Fluid Viscosity.

vice versa.
Use thicker oil in the fast pump. Not in the slow pump. I'm sure it was a typo.

Will it work? Dunno. Let us know.
Old 10-06-2004, 05:29 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First thing I'd do is check to see if all the oil lines running to the tabs and drives are of equal length. The pumps with the shorter path will move faster than the others.
If that checks out I'd install pressure gauges in the lines to see what operating pressure they have. If one or more is significantly lower than the others then I'd look into why.
Possibilities abound. It could be power loss from bad power cables, even cables that are longer than others will cause a drop in available power. Pump motor rpm will cause a decrease in pump performance.
Production tollerances will cause differences in output. I doubt the pumps were meant to be a precision device.

You may have to live with the way it is.
Old 10-06-2004, 11:49 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,249 Likes on 542 Posts

That's what I meant mc.

Thanks Iggy.
I am aware of the hose lengths and power line lengths. I equalled the hose lines on my Sonic's Bennett pump which made them more accurate; But that was one pump for two tabs. As best I can tell everything looks pretty even in hose lengths. As for wiring, it should not be a big deal to be a tad bit longer, but I may try that as well, or a resistor if oil weight does not work.
Old 10-06-2004, 11:50 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A stated,path of least resistance always wins the race.Oil or current.I personally think trying to get them to go the same speed with different oil viscosities would work in theory,but it would be hard to get them exact.If you wanted to get fancy you could rig a third pump that feeds both tabs with a flow divider.Individual movment with the original pumps and equal tandem movent at half the speed with the third pump.