Urgent!  Engine stand ?? >

Urgent! Engine stand ??

Notices

Urgent! Engine stand ??

Old 10-17-2004, 05:54 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Urgent! Engine stand ??

Like I said, Toy, and how long did that run in a offshore boat! I could use that to start my TAD! Just kiddin! sounds like a cool motor!
Bryan
Old 10-17-2004, 06:01 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Roger 1
You just need to stay away from the cheap Chinese crap. It sure does`nt look like a 1250# capacity stand to me.
Just think about this the next time you get underneath a vehicle that you raised with a chinese jack and have setting on chinese jack stands.
I will be in Macau China in two weeks for a race. I will make sure they hear what the power to be's at OSO think about their crap! Remember when we said that about Japan! DOHHHHHH!
Old 10-17-2004, 09:58 AM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by articfriends
I have 5 of the cheap stands,i re-inforced all of them with a few dollars worth of metal and welded them together were they normally bolt to make them sturdier,Smitty

Do what atricfriend did to the second picture. thats what it needs.

If you have a harbor freight they have a 2000 stand that is orange with 2 legs up front.Its on sale for 79.00. I have 3 of them and I have put my BBC blown,innercoller,carbs fully rigged motor on it and it doesn't sag at all!!I did change out the casters and put grade 9 bolts in it just for the heel of it.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=4420

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 10-17-2004, 10:35 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

To build on what Rob said, Harbor Freight is the nuts. I'd hate to estimate how much money I've spent there the last year or so. My friend bought a rolling cherry picker hoist for pulling engines for $149. Has a 10 ton hydraulic ram with a super sensitive release knob. Works the nuts.
Old 10-17-2004, 10:38 AM
Registered

Received 156 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Strip Poker 388
Do what atricfriend did to the second picture. thats what it needs.

If you have a harbor freight they have a 2000 stand that is orange with 2 legs up front.Its on sale for 79.00. I have 3 of them and I have put my BBC blown,innercoller,carbs fully rigged motor on it and it doesn't sag at all!!I did change out the casters and put grade 9 bolts in it just for the heel of it.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=4420
This is the the one you need. Best Bang for the buck.
I have some of the ones you are using with two legs Bought them from summit. I had to weld all the lower brackets. I dont trust them.
I run cradles when there fully assembled. Go with the ones from harbor freight. Or weld the ones you have.

Thats a scary looking setup.
Old 10-17-2004, 12:07 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Here is some picks of how I modified my stand .I added the rear shelf ,when your installing bearings and pistions you can line them up in order , I also like putting the tourqe wrench on it less chance of droping it .I changed all the bolts out to L9 prob over kill but the bolts that come with the it are junk.I changed the casters to a better grade that roll easer ,I have broken one before going over a crack in the floor.

I also added 6 inches height to it . I added a tube inside the bottom tube it gave it 6 inches, that way your not leaning over ,easer on the back.

Also added the bottom shelf ,the tray is galvinized so it want rust.it clamps on to remove if want.

The only other thing I want to add to it is a ballbearing head for turning the motor over easer.and maybe the color
Attached Thumbnails Urgent!  Engine stand ??-egine-stand-003.jpg   Urgent!  Engine stand ??-egine-stand-004.jpg   Urgent!  Engine stand ??-egine-stand-007.jpg  

Old 10-17-2004, 12:09 PM
Rob
VIP Member

the trays
Attached Thumbnails Urgent!  Engine stand ??-egine-stand-005.jpg   Urgent!  Engine stand ??-egine-stand-006.jpg  

Old 10-17-2004, 04:18 PM
Registered

No engine stand is rated for what manufacturer states. I always go for dual leg stand. Since all I build is chevys I weld the stand at all joints. This will make all of the difference in the world.
Old 10-17-2004, 05:42 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

I had one of those made in china cherry pickers. It was rated at 1000, 2000, and 3000 lbs depending on how far you pulled the boom out. It would want to tip forward at the 3000lb setting when pulling my 400 pontiac motor out of my car. Had to have my buddy stand on the back of the hoist for ballast while I jacked motor out. They are crap. Doesnt the government check the safety on these things? I should have let the engine fall on my buddy and we could have sued the manufacturer. I always have my camera available.
Old 10-17-2004, 05:51 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 123 Likes on 78 Posts

Here is a better pic of this POS. It has two legs up front but still can't hold the weight. You can see the upright is not square.
Attached Thumbnails Urgent!  Engine stand ??-2004_1017_172411aa.jpg   Urgent!  Engine stand ??-2004_1017_172507aa.jpg  

Quick Reply: Urgent! Engine stand ??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.