How do I winterize my 496 MAG >

How do I winterize my 496 MAG

Notices

How do I winterize my 496 MAG

Old 10-11-2004, 03:10 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I winterize my 496 MAG

First I'd like to say hello to everybody as this is my first boat. I'm new to boating and have what is probably a simple question. 6 weeks ago I purchased a new Baja Islander 242 with the Mag 496 Magcruiser (375 hp version) In reading the small engine manual that came with the boat it says I need to winterize sea/lake pickup part of the closed cooling system. How do I do winterize this part of the cooling system?

Also I heard that when storing my boat for the winter it's a good idea to put some sort of special gel that stops bacteria from growing on the vinyl. What is the brand most commonly used? The boat will be stored in VA.

What about shrink wrapping a boat for winter? Is that necessary or recommended?

Besides unhooking the batteries, filling up the fuel tank and adding fueld stablizier is their anything else I need to worry about.

Thanks!

Sebastien
Old 10-11-2004, 03:18 PM
Beak botr
VIP Member

Default Re: How do I winterize my 496 MAG

Best bet is to go online and order either the full Mercrusier manual for you year engine, or by the equal clymers and follow the instructions to the letter.

My .02

PS- I've not heard of a "jell" for the vinyl, but I've heard armor-all will help.
Old 10-11-2004, 03:55 PM
Registered
VIP Member

There is a drain plug on each side of the lower block just above where the oil pan meets the block. Usually a 9/16 wrench will take them out. Also drain each exhaust manifold or header, there will be drain plugs in those. Make sure you app. does not have a engine oil cooler, if it does pull lower water hose and drain. Pull hose by thermostate and put 1 gallon of non toxic anti freeze. That sould do it. I did my twin 500's this weekend in about two hours.
Old 10-11-2004, 04:01 PM
Registered

496 has a closed cooling system that should already contain proper antifreeze. Manifolds, and heat exchanger, etc should get a/f mixture added for protection. If you don't know how, read up on the proper procedure in a good service manual.
Old 10-11-2004, 06:13 PM
Registered

some basic videos here http://www.boattest.com/engines-stern.aspx
Old 10-12-2004, 12:07 PM
Registered

Thanks for all the good info guys! The videos were great. I went ahead and ordered all the Mercury Manuals for my application.

Sebastien
Old 10-12-2004, 12:28 PM
Registered

Move To California!jk.
Old 10-12-2004, 12:54 PM
Registered

Don't drain the block on the 496... What I do is get the motor warmed up really well, change the oil, drive oil, get her warmed back up, then use the hand pump ( supplied ) to pump out the heat exchanger, then hook up a funnel and a hose to a pair of flush muffs, and run approx 2-3 gallons of RV anti-freeze through the o.d. until you see it come out the exhaust tips. Then take out each spark plug and squirt in some fogging oil.
Old 10-12-2004, 02:15 PM
jjh3

Since you only have had the boat 6 weeks, what are the hours like? A merc mechanic buddy suggests that if you are well below 20, don't bother changing the engine/drive oil as you will do that at 20 hours anyway. My new Baja with the same motor had 11 hours on it when i put it away for the winter. just another perspective.

Old 10-12-2004, 02:45 PM
Registered

That may be true, but it's still USED oil in there full of corrosive contaminants that you don't want to leave in there all winter..

Change it now and your good to go for next season or 50 or so hours whichever comes or ends first..

Quick Reply: How do I winterize my 496 MAG

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.