The real poop on 500hp's

Notices

The real poop on 500hp's

Old 10-29-2004, 01:36 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: The real poop on 500hp's

[QUOTE=rmbuilder]Kaama,
It's not necessary to change out the cam, but inspect everything carefully first, then change the lifters and you're good to go.

rmbuilder,
I am looking at replacing springs over the winter (200 hours) do I also need to replace the lifters at this time or just do a thorough inspection and go from there?
Old 10-29-2004, 02:25 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its all preventative maintenance people. 200 to 300 hour mark seems to be what most hp owners are doing. Me included. The valvetrain is the weakest part on an engine. You will have to eventualy replace the springs, sooner is better. If you don't believe you should, then don't. And learn. Like mention above, is all high hp engines.
Old 10-29-2004, 02:27 PM
MarineKinetics
Platinum Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Splash,
Chances are if there is significant spring degradation you have effectively shortened the cycle on your lifters. First check all the springs removed closely. Check for sag (shortening), discoloration, breakage, and if you have access to a Rimac check the open & closed pressure. Your findings there will tell much about the condition of the rest of the components. If you pull the lifters check them for wear patterns on the wheel. You can do a quick field check by running the roller across a smooth piece of marble or granite while holding the lifter body in your hand. Check for any vertical and lateral movement of the roller and make sure it runs the marble smoothly. If you have any doubts I would replace.
Bob
Old 10-29-2004, 02:39 PM
Registered

I was told that all HP 500's should change springs to, so my 1999 28 Eliminator Daytona cat with 2 HP 500's and 315 hours on the motors I spent $7,000 for new springs, roller rockers, and Lifters. On my boat there is allot of labor because the motors are so close to the outside of the boat is is real tuf to get the exhaust off and after all the work was done and bye the way no broken springs and they did a leak down test on both motors and the leaked down 8% which is like a new motor any way after the work was done the boat ran the exact same speed. So in my case the motors were like new after 315 hours and springs were in tact. To me it was a waste of money. I should have put that $7,000 into some whipples.
Old 10-29-2004, 03:07 PM
MarineKinetics
Platinum Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dave,
There are tools available to check spring pressures on the head of an assembled engine. The price ranges $79.00-$1195.00. They are very accurate and would have been a good investment in this case, or finding a shop that uses one has the potential for saving significant $$$$ in such instances. You don't want to play Russian Roulette with your valve train.
http://www.power-t.com/spring/pt-700.html
http://www.intercomp-racing.com/fr_springtorque.htm
http://www.lsmproducts.com/
http://www.wisespeedshop.com/Moroso%20Tools.htm

Last edited by rmbuilder; 10-29-2004 at 03:09 PM.
Old 10-29-2004, 03:08 PM
Registered

Uh, I think that is why they call it preventitive maintenance. However, a lot of boater do not know about it. Take care of the issue before it becomes a problem..
Old 10-29-2004, 03:16 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Anyone have a good source for the ISKY spring and retainers? I'm also looking for a set of the Cometic Head gaskets so if anyone has any ideas of where to pick them up please let me know. Thanks
Old 10-29-2004, 04:28 PM
cstraub69@comcast

Splash,
Infomaniac on this board is an Isky and Cometic dealer. You may want to PM him.

Chris

Old 10-29-2004, 04:35 PM
Registered

www.nickersonperformance.com is also a great source.
Old 10-29-2004, 08:43 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I talked to Ohio performance on the AFR heads . I asked them if there putting a better spring that the comp 929 which is a standard spring . He said there using the 26094 endurance spring .It has the same seat pressure and same rate as the 929. This should be a better spring.

I did notice the AFR head have a .200 long intake and a .100 long ex.this would help on the set up height on the 145lbs at the seat.I figure this would not work the spring as hard .

Rmbuilder do you think the Morel lifter is comparable to a Crower?

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.

Quick Reply: The real poop on 500hp's

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.