Oil on transom 500 efi >

Oil on transom 500 efi

Notices

Oil on transom 500 efi

Old 09-15-2001, 06:35 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Post Oil on transom 500 efi

All of a sudden their is oil from tail pipes all over transom and outdrive. Motor is down half a quart. Did'nt notice any performance loss, and a compression test shows all at 150+-5. Rear plugs show richer than front. Started up and everything seems normal, and no trace of oil comming from exhaust. Anyone have any idea what happeneed? Thanks John
Old 09-15-2001, 08:14 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The only thing that can make oil pump out of the exhaust is leakage through the rings or sucking oil in through the valve guides. The guides would have to be really bad for that amount of oil to suck through. I understand that your compression is good, maybe you should try a leak down test. Compression is not 100% accurate in determining the condition of the internals of a motor. Also, are you sure those rear plugs are rich with fuel and not colored from oil??
Old 09-15-2001, 09:39 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
John B, 1.2 qt. dont sound like too much to be down! Are you sure it is oil? Is the 500 efi equipped with pvc valves? Disconnect the breather tubes from the valve covers and run the motor and see what, if any blow by it has.
steve

[ 09-15-2001: Message edited by: P29 SCARAB ]
Old 09-16-2001, 02:21 PM
Registered

Is it possible to suck the oil from somewhere into the EFI plenum. I was making some topend runs when this happened?
Old 09-16-2001, 08:53 PM
Registered

How about a leak in the oil cooler? 65 lbs oil pressure and less than 30 lbs of water presure= oil going into the water and out the tailpipes and all over the transom. Has this happened to anyone?
Old 09-16-2001, 10:47 PM
Registered

Thanks Landlord, I will test the oil cooler. That's a lot easier than an engine rebuild.
Old 09-17-2001, 09:47 PM
RON

John, Does your 500 efi have the Sea water pumps with the fuel pumps (new style) on them? Its just a shot in the dark, but could the seal have gone bad ,and sucked the gear oil out of the water pump housing?
Is it on both motors, or just one?
Hope its just something simple!
Good luck,
Ron...

Old 09-17-2001, 09:55 PM
RON

Oh yea, just saying that may have been the problem, because it seems that any other problem with the motor would also show water in the oil!
Also it seems that 30 psi of water pressure is high, isn't it ?

Old 09-17-2001, 10:00 PM
merlin540

30 psi water pressure is to high shouldnt have over 20 psi at full speed if it does you have to get rid of it before your push the head gaskets out of the engine . do you have a see strainor on the boat if you do you can put a pressure valve on this to get rid of the excess pressure through a transom fitting. you could position it on the boat and blow it on the drive

Old 09-18-2001, 09:41 PM
Registered

Well the oil cooler isn't the problem.Ron, this is an EFI so I don't think there is a fuel pump on the sea pump. Merlin, no sea strainers, max pressure is in the low 20's. The drives are up about 1.75 above the bottom. The search continues

Quick Reply: Oil on transom 500 efi

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.