Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
What causes fuel pressure to rise to the point of needing a regulator? >

What causes fuel pressure to rise to the point of needing a regulator?

Notices

What causes fuel pressure to rise to the point of needing a regulator?

Old 10-20-2004, 02:03 PM
JGB
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: What causes fuel pressure to rise to the point of needing a regulator?

Ok Dave and thanks, We'll see if there is any difference tonight when I try it out. My fingers will still be crossed.
Old 10-20-2004, 02:17 PM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: What causes fuel pressure to rise to the point of needing a regulator?

It's a PIA problem , but one that should be able to be fixed easily enough
Old 10-20-2004, 03:11 PM
Registered

Check your fuel system upstream of the pumps, especially within the tank. If there's a leak in the fuel pickup, usually at the tank outlet fitting, air will get sucked into the fuel line and cause the carbs to seem like the pressure is too high. You must have solid fuel, not fuel with air bubbles being pumped to the carb(s).
Old 10-20-2004, 03:45 PM
JGB
Registered

Thanks, I'll check it out JohnJan. The carb was freshened up again today with a new needle and seat. The float is brand new(the new style). Since I don't want any more disappointment today I will run the engine tomorrow.

Mo, we know for certain it's a PIA problem, How easy to fix? We shall see. Thanx

Jim
Old 10-20-2004, 03:55 PM
JGB
Registered

Just to be certain John Jan, If there is a leak from the fuel tank to fuel pump, especially on the tank fitting, there would be some fuel leaking at the fitting, correct? If not how else would I knowthere was a leak? Thanks

Jim
Old 10-20-2004, 04:37 PM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JGB
Since I don't want any more disappointment today I will run the engine tomorrow.
Jim

I know that feeling
I've been fighting a somewhat similar problem. My engines start fine (cold) and run fine. Shut the off and restart...they fire as soon as the starter engages . Let them sit for a hour or two and I have to crank and crank and crank and crank and crank and crank and when they finally fire they start like they are flooded. Ya know , like 1 cylinder at a time , then 2 then 3 etc. Carbs have been done by a couple of people. One suggestion which I haven't tried ,mostly because the season is quickly expiring up here , is wedge plates under the carb's to get the level since my boat sits low in the back. I tried the soak test on the trailer and hose so it was level and it did seem better

Last edited by mopower; 10-20-2004 at 04:46 PM.
Old 10-20-2004, 05:20 PM
JGB
Registered

Mo, I feel your pain, Does someone actually make these wedges? Or do you have to fab it yourself.
Old 10-21-2004, 12:19 PM
JGB
Registered

Ok, didn't stall out today. Ran it on the hose for about 20 min. I put some seafoam through the engine(decarbonizer). About how long after a decarbonizing should I still be seeing a smokey exhaust. Today' it seemed to alternate smoke between both pipes. I will take it out and run it today or tomorrow for the real test. Thanks for your help

Jim
Old 10-21-2004, 12:20 PM
JGB
Registered

I did notice Idle was a little on the high side (around 1k) Is there a way a layman can adjust it with out calling in the pros?

THX

Jim
Old 10-21-2004, 01:30 PM
Registered

JGB - the experience I had was similar to yours, the float bowls would presurize to the point of fuel spilling over the discharge nozzles into the venturi a few settings after starting the engine. Nobody could figure out why. The Holley tech line guys went so far as to tell me that what I was describing was impossible.

I inspected the lines all the way back to the tank and the tank fitting/pickup tube itself. The pickup tube was an aluminum pipe basically jammed into a tapered thread fitting. From compressing the aluminum into the taper a crack in the pickup tube was allowing air to be sucked into the fuel line at any time that the fitting was not covered with fuel. The fuel pump would fill the bowls with air which would effectively pressurize the bowls. This was the case with the stock carb, rebuilt carbs, whiz bang blueprinted carbs, whatever.

I posted something wayyy back then and several guys acknowledged similar problems and found leaks internal to the tank.

Once I welded a SS tube to the fitting my boat was all of a sudden very easy to dial in and rock solid reliable. Carb calibrations became a set it and leave it forever deal.

Quick Reply: What causes fuel pressure to rise to the point of needing a regulator?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.