Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
What causes fuel pressure to rise to the point of needing a regulator? >

What causes fuel pressure to rise to the point of needing a regulator?

Notices

What causes fuel pressure to rise to the point of needing a regulator?

Old 10-24-2004, 11:31 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: What causes fuel pressure to rise to the point of needing a regulator?

Don't think I've ever seen the Alpha SS drive - if I did it was too long ago. Got any pictures handy?? It's gotta be alot more effcient than the trs/trans setups the bigblocks used.... A 454 with 425hp with a trs would turn a 25" mirage to 5,000rpm or so, and a 27" to 4,700.

The X-dimension on two different years was also different from the factory on these two boats. The '79 was 1+" deeper than the '82....
Old 10-24-2004, 12:24 PM
JGB
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: What causes fuel pressure to rise to the point of needing a regulator?

here is the alpha ss
Attached Thumbnails What causes fuel pressure to rise to the point of needing a regulator?-1cig20e.jpg  
Old 10-24-2004, 09:28 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like they just "nose coned" it. I presume it's all one casting. Is the water pickup any different than a standard alpha? Boat must run a good bit different than the 454/TRS setups!! They have so much weight on that narrow transom, that when you slow down to come off a plane, you have to be careful not to let the wave crash over the transom!! --the wave will come right on in over the rear seat if you just kill the throttle - pain in the ass. Your boat must be 300lbs+ lighter back there.

I've always heard the alpha's do OK as long as you don't "stroke" or "boost" that small block - "more hp is OK, just don't add lotsa torque".......Enjoy