Hydraulic steering problems,, help

Notices

Hydraulic steering problems,, help

Old 10-21-2004, 12:19 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Hydraulic steering problems,, help

I have a 20' Cigarette with full hydraulic steering. It has a couple of problems and do not know where to start. First, when the boat is first started the steering is not working. After turning the steering wheel back and forth a few times it starts to work. It then works fine. Why does it do this and is it normal? Second, the system came with a small reservoir about 3'' in diameter and maybe 5'' tall with a brass plug on top. The rubber hose coming from the pump dips down below the top of the pump and attaches to the reservoir mounted on the front of the exhaust manifold riser bolts. When boating, the reservoir breather plug leaks power steering fluid all over the motor and compartment. Is it possible that the reservoir is not mounted high enough compared to the pump or is it too small? I believe they mounted the reservoir on the riser because there is no other place available that would mount it higher. Any help will be appreciated.
Old 10-21-2004, 02:22 PM
Beak botr
VIP Member

Default Re: Hydraulic steering problems,, help

Has the boat always had this type of steering. If it was retrofitted, it sounds like you have multiple problems, perhaps air in the system, too much fluid in the tank,,etc. The full system has a hydraulic helm that is basically a small pump, if it has air in the helm, air in the lines it will behave very erratically, causing the flooding you refer to as the air displaces the fluid. In my system, the level in the tank does not change as fluid is moved from one side of the ram to the other it just transfers over, you do not see level changes, I believe this is the way it is supposed to work. Plus, when the engine is not running I can still turn the drive, but only very slowly and with a small amount of effort (Latham System).
Old 10-21-2004, 03:15 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Thanks for your input. The boat was purchased a month ago so I do not know the history on it. If air in the lines is the problem, how do you bleed the system. This is the first full hydraulic boat I have owned. A 27 Fountain I added an add-on system and it worked great.
Old 10-21-2004, 09:43 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First of all you need to fix/replace that leaky cap!! The reservoir hose can be below the P.S pump tank but the fluid level in the reservoir MUST be above the pump top to keep it full. The reservoir should never be filled completely full though, as some "bleed back" may occur if you helm is higher than the reservoir. The system is self bleeding. All that is required is to keep the reservoir topped off as you cycle the wheel fully clockwise & counterclockwise repeatedly until the air is out. The engine of course must be running while this is done. If you continue to have problems then there is a leak in the system. My Latham reservoir is about 4-5" in diameter and 7-8" tall. A smaller reservoir is not necessarily bad as long as it can hold any bleedback & keep the pump full.
CAUTION"- when bleeding air out, DO NOT get your fingers in the wheel. It can recoil quickly (it happened to me on a Marine Machine system) and really hurt you. Use the palm of your hand on the face of the wheel. Good Luck.
Old 10-21-2004, 11:48 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Thanks for the information
Old 10-28-2004, 09:45 PM
monsta

this problem is frequently over analized. sounds to me as if you have a restricted power steering filter. it gets overlooked way to often. hense why you find it hard when you first start up, then easier as she warms. you can bleed it to be really on the money by cracking loose the external lines. when turning right crack the outer line and vice versa till you see no air on the initial loosening. obviously this would be done after cycleing the system.think you'll find the filter a lil dirty. good luck

Old 11-07-2004, 06:31 PM
Registered

I had a similar problem with my Hallett newly installed Steering. After the mechanic checked everything it turned out to be some small white debri in the screen of the filter.

My new (used) Outerlimts has a problem in that when at idle around the docks
etc. if you make two quick steering inputs the system just about freezes up.

Almost the same thing my Hallett did years ago.

I'm hoping that it is a Filter issue. Just found out about the problem on Sat. the first day out.
Old 11-07-2004, 09:06 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Thanks for the input.