Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
should I remove the engines with transmissions or not? >

should I remove the engines with transmissions or not?

Notices

should I remove the engines with transmissions or not?

Old 10-25-2004, 10:13 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 99 Likes on 53 Posts
Default should I remove the engines with transmissions or not?

I need to remove the motors for a rebuild this winter and need to know what the easiest way to get them out is. The motors ar BBC's with B/W velvet drives and TRS outdrives. Should I disconect the transmission from the block and pull them that way or should I pull the drives to get the whole engine and transmission out. I have access to a overhead crane.

Thanks
Pat
Old 10-25-2004, 11:21 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: should I remove the engines with transmissions or not?

I pulled mine earlier this year and just pulled the engines. I unbolted the transmission from the bell-housing (approx 6 bolts), lifted the motor slightly, pulled it forward until the trans was clear and lifted the motor out. The trans input shaft is far shorter than in a car so it is quite easy to clear. If you have trans coolers in the bell-housing you will also need to disconnect them.

To get the engines back in I lifted the trans until it was slightly elevated in the front and placed a wedge in between it and the transom to hold it up, this made mating up the engines far easier. It only took about 10 minutes put each back in and a get few bolts snugged up.

Bryan
Old 10-26-2004, 08:23 AM
Registered

You CAN remove the engines without the transmission, and you CAN remove the engine/tranny without removing the drive. But I dont see any reason why you would. It's a bigger pain in the a$$ to get the stuff back together if you do.
Remove the drive (2 trim ram bolts & the 6 nuts on the studs). Dissconnect all electrical, water, fuel, etc hookups. Then unbolt the 2 front motor mounts and the 2 tailstock boolts. Now everything comes out.
In the long run, it will be much easier and faster.
BTW, one person can handle a SSM II drive alone, both on and off. But neither I, nor my back, recomends it.
Gary
Old 10-26-2004, 11:52 AM
Registered

I do as Gary said pull tranny with motor.....easy with overhead crane....I only remove outdrive when assy. needs to go back in....TRS drives are heavy but I bear hug mine to remove and install just don't step on any roller skates when you do it!.....Fred
Old 10-27-2004, 08:01 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking Re: should I remove the engines with transmissions or not?

Oh my god. Why remove stuff if you don't have to?? Let me see if I have this right? To avoid pulling 6 bolts between the trans and engine ( and remove starter) your going to:

1.pull six nuts off the drive,
2.disonnect trim pistons from drive (loosen both ends),
3.probably damage gasket/seal between drive and transom bell housing,
4.lift that drive and put it somewhere,
5.unhook trans cooler lines?(more goop in bildge)
6.unhook shift cable,
7.romove bolts from rear of trans to transom assembly
8.Etc. etc.??????

You guys must really LOVE to work on stuff.............

Motor will hook back up to trans - it's not 1 tenth the work as the "other" method.
Old 10-27-2004, 08:35 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

OK guys, I understand everything you said. I've got Hubers in front of SpeedMasters. Hubers are plug-in (no driveshafts). It's clear I can remove the trannys by just sliding the engines forward. My question involves put the trannys back in. Do I need to remove the drive to mate the transmission to the drive? I appreciate the help. You guys obviously know what you're doing! Lou
Old 10-27-2004, 09:32 PM
Registered

Lou, You can bring it down to the shop anytime. We can get the business half in where the hoists are. I don't think that you have to remove drives to re-plug. --- JP
Old 10-27-2004, 09:47 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Jer- Thanks for the offer. I may take you up on that sometime. Right now, I'm just trying to understand what it would take. Drivetrain is perfect. Trim tab indicators are an irritant right now. You'd appreciate the boat next to me in my new indoor, heated storage. It's owned by original owner of my boat. It's a 42' Outer Limits with 1500hp Sterlings with #6's. It's got 2 hours on it. How's 'The Martini' running? Lou
Old 10-27-2004, 10:10 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 99 Likes on 53 Posts

Ok Hang Time, I hear what your saying about more hassel about pulling the drives. I want to know what kind of preventive maintence I should do the the outdrives if I do pull them off. This was the 1st year for me with this boat. I do know that the boat sat unused on the trailer for 3 years previous. I was thinking of checking the U joints. What else is there to check? If I dont pull the drives and transmissions how easy is it to mate the trans back up to the motor. I dont want to do more work than necessary, but I want to make sure that things are right with the drive/gimble/transmission for next year
Old 10-27-2004, 10:38 PM
Registered

To mate the trans and the engine was very easy for me. After pulling the engines the transmissions hung low in the front. After holding them up with a wedge between the trans and transom everything lined up and the motors dropped right in. Once the motor is almost in place you may need to rock it from side to side a bit to get the splines on the flyweel/trans to line up. The important part is getting the engine balanced properly before getting it into the boat. I used an engine lifting plate on the intake and hung it from the back hole.

Bryan

Last edited by Bryanw; 10-27-2004 at 10:41 PM.

Quick Reply: should I remove the engines with transmissions or not?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.