Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Hydromotive P5X results are in >

Hydromotive P5X results are in

Notices

Hydromotive P5X results are in

Old 11-16-2004, 10:07 PM
blownboat

Default Re: Hydromotive P5X results are in

Well with the P5x I ran 92 on gps. Installed nose cone lower,went 95 on gps.

Old 11-16-2004, 10:50 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd be really interested in hearing any mid-range comparisons @ 3200-3800 rpm's. Let's be realistic, what percentage of time are you running at wot vs. mid-range. If you could match a 4 blade on top-end and pick-up 5-7 mph mid-range, wouldn't that make more sense? It makes absolutely no sense to squeeze maybe 1-2 more mph on top end and sacrifice everything else, such as, hole shot, mid-range and handling... the only one that would notice a few more mph at wot would be you glancing at your gps. as everybody else is holding on for life.
Old 11-17-2004, 12:47 AM
blownboat

I dont know if you read the previous posts, but in my situation, I lost nothing by going to a 5 blade. I didn't give up anything,actually I gained all the way around. It may not be for everyone as Julie stated earlier but before you knock it you should try it or you are only guessing. Julie at throttleup has a great program on test props,maybe you should try that! Thanks again Julie, you have two happy 25 daytonas!

Old 11-17-2004, 12:58 AM
blownboat

There is alot of people on here that truly like to increase their top end numbers or they would not be trying nose cones or labbing props, if I can be of any help to them with my testing thats great, I have received alot of valuable info on here and I like to give some back. So ask your passengers to hold on for dear life and "THROTTLEUP". I went from running against a rev limiter at 85 mph with a 30 lab 4 blade to 95 on gps with a p5x and a nose cone, I think that is a huge difference. 10 mph not 1-2

Last edited by BLOWNBOAT; 11-17-2004 at 01:03 AM.

Old 11-17-2004, 04:15 PM
Registered

Blownboat, My comments were not geared towards you in particular, rather most of the guys that are trying to tweak out another 1-2 on the top end and spending lots of time and money to get there. I've done all of that in the past and conclude that it's not worth it.

For example, I've tried ignition, exhaust, spark plugs, octane boost and last but not least props ($2500) on an old 22 eagle xp 502 mag to get about 2 mph, when I should of just left it alone. Just tring to let others learn from my experiences and save them some money too. In your case, you had very good results. Yes, 10 mph on top end is excellent and from what I've read on this forum the p5x performs awesome in all other areas too.

I've got a 2001 28 Daytona with twin 496 ho's, no boxes, but very high drives running stock 30p bravo's. It blows out easily on hole shot, I'm loosing serious bite around 70 and tops out at 93. 3400 rpm=60 mph. I will definitely test the p5x's nest spring. I think I'm pretty much at my limit on top end, I'm just looking for mid-range gains. I've talked to both Matt and Julie at throttle-up and I think the 28 p5x might be the one. I go for very long cruises at LOTO, so mid-range is my goal and if I pick up a few on top, then all the better. Where did you notice the most diffrence with the nose cone? That might help my slippage around 70-75. Did you notice any mph increase at mid-range?

Didn't mean to come across the wrong way...

Thanks
Old 11-17-2004, 05:09 PM
blownboat

I cant tell you the mid range numbers, I only ran it a couple times and didn't pay much attention to mid, but it did not feel any worse. It actually felt the same except on the top end. I just decided to put it up for sale last week to get a 28 tall deck and the potential buyer I took to the lake wanted to see how fast it would go. If he doesn't buy it I will try it again and post the info.

Old 11-17-2004, 06:05 PM
Registered

harper220,

Your points are very valid. When we deal with a customer we find out what their goals are. We don't push lab props because they are not for everyone. As a general rule a boat will loose mid range cruise speed with a lab prop. Is it worth it? Only the boat owner can answer that.

Matt
Old 11-21-2004, 09:22 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by throttleup
As a general rule a boat will loose mid range cruise speed with a lab prop. Is it worth it? Only the boat owner can answer that. Matt
NOT worth it! Been there....done that!! I will definitely be trying out a pair of P5's next spring. Looking forward to doing more business with you.