Volvo Penta Ocean Series Drives >

Volvo Penta Ocean Series Drives

Notices

Volvo Penta Ocean Series Drives

Old 11-23-2004, 12:06 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Volvo Penta Ocean Series Drives

sorry it took so long I haven't checked the thread. The cutout in the transom is the basically the same as any merc or omc cobra. The transom assy itself is comosite also and made specifically for the ocean series drive. On the chris craft I believe that boat would probably do well with a single prop drive. the Volvo SX drive would be the drive of choice for this application. The transom assy would stay the same with the addition of a different bell housing for the drive to bolt to. New shift cable from helm all the way to the drive (one piece). You also would have to install an engine mounted sea water pump as the pump would not be in the drive anymore. overall not too difficult a task, it is a little time consuming. The drives are about 4K each less trade in value plus about another 1k for the upfit parts.
Old 11-24-2004, 01:18 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Jim,

Thanks for getting back on the thread. You have confirmed everything that an outdrive expert near me in Port Clinton has told me about the SX drives and my boat. My understanding is that the OMC cutout is different enough from the alpha cutout to warrant NOT switching to mercs.
Are you the same guy? You have the same first name...
BIG outdrive people.... maybe it's you.

A friend has a 74 donzi with twin sbcs and the old 270 volvo drives, and I know his setup, so I know what you mean about the sea water pumps.

Even his old 270 drives shift so smoothly that you have to give it a little throttle to even know you went in gear. Hardly a click.

Plus, the SX drives would be rotation direction switchable, so I could play with counter rotation.

Sounds like Ocean series no. SX series yes.

Thanks again for your input.
Old 12-01-2004, 08:53 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The sx drive is going to shift the about the same as any volvo, or bravo as they are all cone clutch shifting outdrives. Maybe I wasn't clear on the cutout. OMC cobra, merc alpha, bravo, Volvo SX & DP all use the same cutout. I use the same cutting jig for all. The only difference is some (and this is not brand specific) use two more studs in the top. You can use the merc or volvo jig to drill these if needed. The reasons for going to the SX over the merc isn't the cutout. You can use your old transom assy & engine without removing to do the swap. Much less labor & prts cost to install, & volvo traditionally has lower maintenance costs. Hope this helps. JIM
Old 12-01-2004, 09:27 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jim,

I had no idea that the cutout was the same.
Had some good, some bad info.

Thanks again.