Oil Temp Sender Positioning

Notices

Oil Temp Sender Positioning

Old 11-17-2004, 06:15 PM
32' SUNSATION
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Oil Temp Sender Positioning

I run mine in the remote filter housing. After all that's were it goes first from the pan before it goes in the engine. Here are a couple pics.
Attached Thumbnails Oil Temp Sender Positioning-smalloilsender.jpg  

Last edited by Kanookstr; 11-17-2004 at 06:18 PM.
Old 11-18-2004, 10:49 AM
Registered

Guys,

Where is the temp sender on the new 525 ?????
My oil temp always seemed low.......
Old 04-13-2005, 10:49 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by obnoxus
In the boss right above the block oil filter location. The pan will be higher temps then this location. This is the temp as the oil enters the motor.
Not sure if this has been beat to death, and I'm no expert, but I can't figure out why there are so many opinions on this. If everyone agrees the problem with oil getting too hot is the breakdown of the oil itself, then who cares what the temp is as it "enters the engine", "after the coolers", "before the filters", "before the coolers", etc. Common sense says we need to know the MAX temp the oil reaches, at any time, at any place in the motor. Isn't that what we want to monitor?? Since we can't measure the temp on "backs of the pistons" , then shouldn't we measure it after it falls off?? Like in the pan?......Isn't any point in the block going to be cooler than the pan because the block is water cooled, and therefore useless as a point of measure??

So, if the pan oil temp is at least 200 then we're hot enouph and burning off moisture, and if it's below 280-300 than our oil is not going to break down in a hurry. But if we measure any where else and get a reading of 270 and think we are safe, what if the temp is 300 in the pan?? The oil is breaking down and soon we go -- Bonk, bonk, bonk, bonk, bonk, bonk, bonk, bonk.........................

Someone explain what I am missing.................
Old 04-13-2005, 11:09 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Do what I did. Install 2 senders installed both right out of the pump, and right before going back into the motor. With a toggle switch mounted under the dash, I could flip between the cooled and non-cooled oil senders to see how much temp the cooler was taking out using a common dash guage.
Old 04-14-2005, 05:14 PM
32' SUNSATION
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Hang Time 27
Not sure if this has been beat to death, and I'm no expert, but I can't figure out why there are so many opinions on this. If everyone agrees the problem with oil getting too hot is the breakdown of the oil itself, then who cares what the temp is as it "enters the engine", "after the coolers", "before the filters", "before the coolers", etc. Common sense says we need to know the MAX temp the oil reaches, at any time, at any place in the motor. Isn't that what we want to monitor?? Since we can't measure the temp on "backs of the pistons" , then shouldn't we measure it after it falls off?? Like in the pan?......Isn't any point in the block going to be cooler than the pan because the block is water cooled, and therefore useless as a point of measure??

So, if the pan oil temp is at least 200 then we're hot enouph and burning off moisture, and if it's below 280-300 than our oil is not going to break down in a hurry. But if we measure any where else and get a reading of 270 and think we are safe, what if the temp is 300 in the pan?? The oil is breaking down and soon we go -- Bonk, bonk, bonk, bonk, bonk, bonk, bonk, bonk.........................

Someone explain what I am missing.................
All good points Hang Time, But the recommended temps specified before going thru the engine are just that. Max temps before going Thru the engine. In other words, for your engine oil to be able to protect your engine, it should be bellow that certain temp in the oil pan. The pump pickup is at the bottom of the pan, so taking the temp, ( though theres probably not much of a difference) should be taken at the bottom of the pan. But the next best place to take the temp is right after the pump, which is just before it goes thru the oil filter. Taking the temp After the oil cooler doesn't fall under the same temp scale as would be after it goes thru the engine. (pan temp) . I look at it this way, The so called expert say your engine is not protected if the oil temps get over ### temp. in the Pan. So if you stay under that you should be OK. The funny thing is that those temp scales were established way before synthetic oil ever was invented. Now the big debate is how much temp can be added to the old scale if your running synthetic oil??? .