Oil Temp Sender Positioning

Notices

Old 11-06-2004, 10:04 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On a Gen V 502 where is the best place to mount a oil temp sender.Obviously the sump plug could be adapted and i do have a plug in the side of the sump.I think this could be above the oil level though.Does anybody know what this plug is for?It is about 3.5 inches below the pan rail half way along.Any help appreciated.Thanks
Old 11-07-2004, 12:05 AM
monsta

Default Re: Oil Temp Sender Positioning

in the remote oil filter adapter, if you have one. or in the block , on the left side, just in front of the oil filter casting in the block above the pan surface.

Old 11-07-2004, 10:41 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have mine in the oil filter brackets.
Old 11-07-2004, 12:23 PM
Registered

Received 62 Likes on 23 Posts

Mine is in the remote filter housing too.
Old 11-07-2004, 01:27 PM
'05 Concept SF23
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The best place is the stock location on the block, above the oil filter pad. The remote oil filter housing will work also.
Old 11-07-2004, 02:43 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The oil pan is the best spot.
Old 11-07-2004, 02:49 PM
LarryD

it will be hottest in the pan however I like to place it after the cooler so you know what temp the engine is seeing so the filter bracket or the stock location above the filter pad on the port side of engine .

Old 11-07-2004, 03:23 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The engine sees what is in the pan.
Old 11-07-2004, 03:43 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LarryD
it will be hottest in the pan however I like to place it after the cooler so you know what temp the engine is seeing so the filter bracket or the stock location above the filter pad on the port side of engine .
What difference does it make to moniter the temp after it has gone through the cooler?... Why bother to moniter it at all if it has been cooled? The whole point of having instruments on the engine is to moniter what the engine is doing. If there is a problem with the motor... you will see it first when the oil temp suddenly elevates... I want to see what the engine is doing... not what the cooler is doing. If the engine is running lean and about to burn a piston top, you will see a big increase in the oil tempurature. Do you think you will see the increase in tempurature after the oil has been cooled? The stock mounting position is ok if you aren't running a cooler. I'd suggest measuring anything about the oiling system at it's EXTREMES . That means measuring the oil pressure at it's weakest, and the tempurature at it's highest point.
Old 11-07-2004, 03:49 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The jacka$$ that built my motors the first time plumbed the oil tempurature at it's coldest point (just after the cooler)... and measured the oil pressure at it's highest point.( in the filter pad right after the pump). The moron had plumbed the oil filter backwards. I had great pressure, unfortunately all the oil was going back into the pan through the pump bypass. The oil tempurature gauge showed ice cold... Here is a picture of the end result. Mind you, the gauges gave no warning of this because of where they were plumbed. You draw your own conclusion.
Attached Thumbnails Oil Temp Sender Positioning-rod-1-resized.jpg  

Quick Reply: Oil Temp Sender Positioning

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.