Notices

Hustler 500efi engine tear down & Build Up

Old 12-09-2004, 03:41 PM
Off the Radar
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Hustler 500efi engine tear down & Build Up

Let me try again,

Here's a picture on my buddies 388 and how he did the hatch. He has 10-71 blowers.
Attached Thumbnails Hustler 500efi engine tear down & Build Up-dsc01120.jpg   Hustler 500efi engine tear down & Build Up-dsc01121.jpg  
Old 12-09-2004, 08:32 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by fountain_333
i have a question about the cylinder heads that were on your motor?? what size valves came in them and did the bowl area look like it had been cut out with a counter-bore cutter ?? Was there any venturi left??
The heads came with the stock 2.25 and the 1.88 . They tell me they come with the Manley sever duty valves . I am replacing them all anyway , went to the 1.900 ex.

These heads have already had some porting done to them , not much.& not with a cutter.

old pick
Attached Thumbnails Hustler 500efi engine tear down & Build Up-resize-wizard-1.jpg  

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 12-09-2004, 08:53 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Linster
Let me try again,

Here's a picture on my buddies 388 and how he did the hatch. He has 10-71 blowers.

Thanks for the pm , he has some stout motors in there.

sutphen30 This boat had the old style Whipples on it once before . it has # 12 dumps on it already.

*****I am just worried about adding the pick ups for the innercooler and maybe adding the seastrainers for them

Old 12-09-2004, 11:10 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 139 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Whipple Charged
2. Injecting fuel through the compressor creates a major cooling effect. The fuel goes through a phase change, from liquid form to gas form which creates a refrigerent cooling effect, notice the ice on top of the SC's after long hard running.
please explain the dynamics of this phenomenon. A phase change from liquid to gas is accomplished by either heating the liquid OR subjecting it to a pressure drop. It doesn't just "happen". I'm having trouble picturing the process which contributes to the cooling effect you've mentioned.

I can see that the liquid/air mix undergoes a compression as it exits the compressor, but I don't see anywhere that the pressure undergoes a rapid drop (which is required to exhibit the refrigerant-based phase change cooling effect you mention). If the charge underwent a substantial compression within the blower itself, and its excess heat was removed via conduction through the blower case, then it would make sense that a cooling effect could occur as the compressed gases exited the blower case into a low(er) pressure area within the intake manifold. I don't think this is the case, although I am open to being corrected.

Besides, if a screwcharger somehow "made" the charge cool (by the refrigerant cooling effect you mention) then why in blazes would anybody need an aftercooler with a Whipple??

Please elaborate on this cooling effect. It sounds very cool (no pun intended, well, okay maybe it is intended just a leetle).

I may need pictures or something to better understand...

Last edited by mcollinstn; 12-09-2004 at 11:13 PM.
Old 12-10-2004, 04:17 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 863 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by tomcat
sutphen30: Thanks for the info on the plug check with the whipple.

Dustin: Damage to rear cylinders is what I was told. I speculated in my post that fuel distribution from the front entry might explain the observation. Then sutphen30 responded with his plug check info that showed good distribution and you posted your data on A/F ratios. Now I'm thinking that maybe the intake air just got too hot. Maybe the rear cylinders always run hot and are just the first to detonate when you get too close to the edge.

The point is that nobody really wants to become an expert in engine damage. They want a system with some built in safety margin. You don't need $56,000.00 worth of sensors to check for uniform fuel distribution if you use port injection. And you don't need to worry about intake air temps if you use a big intercooler. Copper fins, denser fins, evaporation of fuel in the compressor, all become unnecessary.

Tom
The following remark is in response to post 107 for those that didn't understand where i was coming from.
LET THE FIGHT BEGIN!!!!

Last edited by articfriends; 06-16-2005 at 07:46 PM.
Old 12-11-2004, 11:08 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 254 Likes on 140 Posts

Well said!
Old 12-14-2004, 11:34 PM
Rob
VIP Member

I did some more research on the oil pumps , Probably to much because most say there not a problem with the oil system on the bbc.And on my old Scarab [11pds]blower motor it had a moroso pump and never had a oil pressure or bearing prob. Here is what I found .

Melling came out with the new style pump in Oct 1996. on the big block Chevy they have 4 basic different ones.

The 10770 is a high volume pump , has steel gears where to old style where made of a powdered metal . the outside body is black manganese phosphate coated.uses a 3/4 press in style screen. and includes a HD drive shaft w/ steel sleeve. I figure this pump is close to the old style but with steel gears.

The 10777 required a screw in oil pick up. The gear shafts extend into the bottom cover for support.has a screw in plug that holds the relief valve spring, its coated also.it comes with a NEW style HD hex drive shaft, stronger I guess?

The 10778 is about a year old .people wanted the 10777 but with a press in oil pickup.Its the same as the 10777 except has a press in pick up.this pump was not even instock yet anywhere.

The 10778C this one they recommend for racing only because it has the anticavitation grooves cut in to the cover. They claim it will have LOW oil pressure below 1400 rpm. he said below 30psi.

I figure as long as I see atleast 10 at idle i am ok .Not much load there . Like Smokey said 10 psi for every 1000rpm . Look what the dry sump motors make

Melling [Mr Cal] said all these pumps come with the high pressure in them now . they flow test all of the make sure the bypass is at 70 psi and has 30 at idle.the body is supose to be the same thicknes ,so the standard 8 inch oil pan pick up will work.

Mr Cal said Moroso made them come out with the 10778C . He said Melling said it was not necessary .Moroso told them it was a selling point.. Melling bought out Dyna gear that was making the oil pumps for Moroso and putting the anticavitions grooves in them .
I have run the pumps with the anti grooves in them and have'nt had any oil pressure problems at idle.He said

The pictures are of a SBC but the shafts are done the same. Maybe this will give ya an idea on the new pumps.whether there needed or not??

I think the shaft going thru the body will help ,look at my pick with the chatter in the upper body and the uneven wear on the cover.
Attached Thumbnails Hustler 500efi engine tear down & Build Up-resize-wizard-11.jpg   Hustler 500efi engine tear down & Build Up-resize-wizard-12.jpg  

Old 12-15-2004, 01:38 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Cool thread
Old 12-20-2004, 05:51 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Strip, have us an update on engines yet?
Old 12-20-2004, 08:13 PM
Rob
VIP Member

I been sick for 2 weeks with the Flu Air compressor broke . I should start back up this week . Picking up the blocks Tue.I have most of the parts in . Backed ordered on cams and lifters.Crane .I am locking down the Price on the 3.3 Whipples with Mark at Precision Marine this week also.Polished???

Also I have a car show coming up Jan 8th .Putting 2 cars in at the same time will take up some more of my motor time.Its good excuse to sit around a car show bench racing and drinking BEER

Quick Reply: Hustler 500efi engine tear down & Build Up

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.