Hustler 500efi engine tear down & Build Up >

Hustler 500efi engine tear down & Build Up

Notices

Hustler 500efi engine tear down & Build Up

Old 02-25-2005, 12:31 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Hustler 500efi engine tear down & Build Up

Looks like you got thing coming together over there, Hope we can get mine back together one day every time I turn around I am haveing to replace another part or in my case two. If you need some help just call maybe we could come up one weekend and give you a hand. I would really like to work on some real horsepower motors instead of these things i am working on. Just ordered two new intakes from summit last night salt water got the best of mine. couplers have to be changed also. Like I said if it's not one thing it's two.

call me if you need an extra hand
Old 02-25-2005, 12:53 AM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SpeedJunkie
Looks like you got thing coming together over there, Hope we can get mine back together one day every time I turn around I am having to replace another part or in my case two. If you need some help just call maybe we could come up one weekend and give you a hand. I would really like to work on some real horsepower motors instead of these things i am working on. Just ordered two new intakes from summit last night salt water got the best of mine. couplers have to be changed also. Like I said if it's not one thing it's two.

call me if you need an extra hand
What been going on Johnathan? If Eric gets that Fountain its going to hard to get him to work on yours You know they have a ADRL Pro Mod race here this weekend 64 car field Scotty Cannon ,Jenkins,Scruggs small block http://www.outlawpromods.com/flyers/...rnationals.htm. Where headed out Friday.I am Going to try out the Camaro again. Ya ought to try to catch up with us .We might even get to throwing the butane tanks in the ceiling fans again I still need those picks

Rob

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 02-25-2005, 01:05 AM
Registered

May Just come up there if the rain doesn't setin too bad Been raining for the past three days down here
If nothing else may take a ride up there sat.
Old 02-25-2005, 04:51 AM
Off the Radar
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Coming along good. A buddy of mine used that same cam you are using on a 502 with a 250 blower and twin carbs. It seems to work good. He runs it conservative with 4 lbs. of boost. Idle is ok as well. Good luck and keep posting upgrades.
Old 02-28-2005, 03:14 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tomcat
My point is that port injection, and intercoolers of appropriate size for the job, are a more conservative approach to the design of a supercharging system. I know that doesn't help you because you are sellling screw compressors, and the nature of that beast led you to a throttle body injected design, with intercooler size limited by the size of the manifold and the need to stay under the hatch. Our design is not going to fit under some hatches but that's the compromise we chose.

Conservative design definitely leaves more room for safety and reliabilty and all the comments about cylinder pressure sensors and intercoolers the size of Ceasar's Palace, Maine etc. won't change that fact. If cylinder pressure sensors help you diagnose failures and improve your designs, that's great, you do what you have to do. But if you are trying to say that port injection and big intercoolers are bad that's a bit like saying white is black.

I understand that you release some water at the back of the heads on your system. That's fine if that's what you have to do, but I don't see everybody else doing that on their systems, or having these types of failures as a result.

The last two intercooler designs we did are available in both aluminum and cupronickel. Customer's choice and it's a price issue. They aren't necessary for many guys on fresh water. To say that they are more reliable because they melt at higher temperature is a bit of a stretch.

If the screw compressor reaches a pressure ratio of 1.35 within the rotors then you know that the air has been heated. The condensation on the case means that heat was removed by the evaporation of fuel. This does not mean that a screw compressor is some kind of refrigeration system. The cooling effect of fuel evaporation is available to all engines; it just happens later with port injection.

It is the nature of selling to emphasize your unique features and turn minuses into pluses, and I expect no less from you. I will confess to doing it myself when discussing low speed boost levels on a centrifugal blower. I tell my potential customers that it will put less stress on the drive, but a few still manage break their drives.
Tomcat,
You are so far in left field. What is it that your developing as conservative? What is conservative since you don't know the failure point? Have you done any type of stress analysis or long term testing on conservative vs. agressive? What I'm telling you is that port injection does not equal perfect distribution and a big intercooler can have diminishing returns. Trying to brag about having these without having proper information to back it up is what I'm telling you is the problem. Put 8 air fuel meters on it, I guarantee you won't have a consistent air fuel ratio that is less than 1 air fuel ratio from high to low. Then acting like cylinder pressure or accurate air fuel meters are somehow a bad thing is just plain iggnorant. Information is key. How do you know how close you are to knock in what cylinder? Just because you feel it's "conservative" does not mean it is. Proper instrumentation can make opinions into facts, improper instrumentation does not result in facts.

The longer you have a cooler median such as fuel in a supercharger, manifold and runner, the greater the possibility for increased heat reduction. Pressurizing the air to 1.35 in the compressor does heat the air up, as does pressurizing it in the manifold so I'm not sure where your going with that one. The fact that the screw compressor compresses air is the main reason for it's superiority, it has far less leakage or backflow when compared to other designs. For that matter, moving air also increases temperatures, meaning systems with complexed ducting have increased temps and higher psi drops. We deal with psi drops of .5 to 1.5 because we have a very direct path and very efficient intercoolers. We also offer 24fpi with offset fins and have incredible cooling capacity. Our latest design is called the MOAC, Mother Of All Coolers!

You should also take a few days and visit some true high performance racing and see where their injectors are. Whether it's many of the F1 engines, earlier CART engines or many others, they run port injection for transient fueling and low speed fueling, but top end high performance is typically as far up the runner as possible.

Also, please do a little research on screw compressors and see where they've been used for the past 60 years? Umm, yeah, thats the refigiration industry!

As I said, if your using cupronickel, thats great. Too bad cupronickel by itself is far worse than aluminum intercoolers, did you test that? Do you know how bad nickel is for cooling? Our intercoolers offer a patented design of cupronickel for water passages and pure copper air fins. This allows our cores to be resistent to all water types and be efficient at removing heat. Good luck getting some of those made. I'll also give you a bit of advice, fresh water does not equal fresh water. Try running aluminum intercoolers for long peroids in places like Lake Havasu and report back. Once a water passage gets clogged, it will only get worse unless properly cleaned. That corrision attacks the metal at an escalating rate and in a very short time, you can have half the cooling capacity and increased pressure levels to the exposed water passages giving them a higher possibility for failure. The fact that cupronickel melts at a higher temp is very important. This has to do with fatigue and failure. Aluminums rate of expansion and contraction is far greater and is much more sensitive to temp variances. Clogging or poor distribution typically reeks havoc on such a design. Again, a bit of advice for you, you can't control everything that happens in that motor and there will be times that temps will increase to shockingly high temps. Ever measured that centrifugals discharge temp when you closed the throttle at peak rpm without a bypass? What about a backfire?

Thanks,
Dustin
Old 02-28-2005, 05:55 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 8 Posts

I think this argument is starting to bore everyone and it isn't going to resolve anything anyway. Since we both have better things to do I am not going to continue. Perhaps an independent comparison of dyno numbers, or a test of two similar boats with the different systems installed can be arranged some day.

Tom
Old 02-28-2005, 08:22 PM
Off the Radar
Platinum Member

Maybe you guys should start a new thread. I do not think differences of opinion are bad. I think both sides learn a little from each other. There are more ways than one to skin a cat. I agree with letting things die on this thread. I have to think Dustin has more R&D than anybody on this forum. Lets see Strips progress.

Strip, I'm impressed with all your gadgets, You probally have forgot more than most people know.
Old 02-28-2005, 08:38 PM
Registered

MOAC!! I love that one.Makes me want to buy one just so I can say that.Thanks Dustin,it is very clear you guys spend a ton of $$ on R & D. Strip,Mark is good people.He did my dyno work on my 540 then went out with me for final tuning.Ofcorse he also took time to answer all the stupid questions.I'm sure you'll be happy.Hope to see ya at the TickFaw or the RoyalPurple this year.28 PowerQuest BaDaBing,BOB
Old 02-28-2005, 08:38 PM
Registered

One quick question, I have been following your build. Linster just finished mine and put a parts list together and he asked for a Rollmaster timing chain that was a twin chain style. Why are you staying with a single chain?
Old 02-28-2005, 09:42 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Linster
Maybe you guys should start a new thread. I do not think differences of opinion are bad. I think both sides learn a little from each other. There are more ways than one to skin a cat. I agree with letting things die on this thread. I have to think Dustin has more R&D than anybody on this forum. Lets see Strips progress.

Strip, I'm impressed with all your gadgets, You probably have forgot more than most people know.

Linster you have a point. They do need their own thread . I don't see them adding anything helpful or positive to this thread. If you would like add anything helpful to my project I am willing to listen and learn. Thanks

Linster we just got finished flowing the heads . I Will post as soon as he prints them out . They came out fair

Linster I do not claim to be a engine builder or know a hole lot,But I enjoy building them and having fun doing it

Bob280Silencer Yea Mark seems to be one of the best in the Industry on the ECM's.He is very helpful and has patience with people .He will not shoot you a line of BS just to sell you something and he will tell you if something will not work.I do not think you will find anybody like him in Engine business.

Hopefully I will be able to return his generosity Thank you Mark and Precision Marine .

If I every get these hand grenades together I can take them to Mark and well see what they will do . Mark told me the ECM cuts off at 6300rpm so I figure well pull it up to 6200 just to see what it will do This ought to give Sutphen30 a hard on We are going to start calling him MR RPM

I am documenting everything and I am going to give RMBuilder all the Data for his database that he is building .He is like me ,We like sharing info to help others

I hope that I can learn from you guys and maybe I can help others with what I am doing .

Thanks

Rob

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.

Quick Reply: Hustler 500efi engine tear down & Build Up

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.