Notices

Hustler 500efi engine tear down & Build Up

Old 02-28-2005, 10:13 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: Hustler 500efi engine tear down & Build Up

Originally Posted by excursion
One quick question, I have been following your build. Linster just finished mine and put a parts list together and he asked for a Rollmaster timing chain that was a twin chain style. Why are you staying with a single chain?
It is a CLoydes Hex A Just chain .They said a double chain on the hexajust will not fit on the Gen 6 block. I did some research on them with some other engine builders and they haven't had any problems ..Most of them told me they used the cheaper ones anyway ? Theres not much spring pressure on the motors anyway. The Hexajust makes it easy to degree in the cam.Just personal preference I guess?On my Scarab with the blown motor The chain had 170 hours on it and its still running in another motor I built and sold in the Scarab .I have had good luck with the single chain Hexajust on the big blocks.

When Linster made his post on the Rollmaster someone came up with a old notice about them having a problem . He called and also did some research on them and found it was with a blown small block crank . Only one!! So they withdrew the notice and said it was not the chain[crank gear].You are in good hands with Linnie

Rob

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 02-28-2005, 11:20 PM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Strip Poker 388
Oil galley plugs. The motor came with 2 with holes in it for oiling the timming chain, some say leave it out with the new style chain, I put just one in, figured with the new style oil pump and being a HV should be ok?
Funny... my engines came back from Charlotte, NC with TWO oil galley plugs drilled out as well. Not really sure if it was good or bad either, but we figured that using one plug with a hole in it was enough for oiling. We also used a Cloyes Hex Adjust as well, but I think it was a double roller.

Yes, that was me on the timing chain gear, but I still think Linster sounds like he's a good man, and a good engine builder.
Old 03-01-2005, 12:09 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds to me like these two need to get a new thread and maybe a woman or two. Even though they both sound like they know a hella lot more than me.
Old 03-01-2005, 12:56 AM
Rob
VIP Member

Originally Posted by KAAMA
Funny... my engines came back from Charlotte, NC with TWO oil galley plugs drilled out as well. Not really sure if it was good or bad either, but we figured that using one plug with a hole in it was enough for oiling. We also used a Cloyes Hex Adjust as well, but I think it was a double roller.

Yes, that was me on the timing chain gear, but I still think Linster sounds like he's a good man, and a good engine builder.

Kamma my plugs looked like they were pre drilled . I dont think they drilled them up there.It had 3 different kinds in them. I asked a few people and they said they have seen it come in the higher HP stuff and also in the marine motors from the factory, But it was 50/50.On my small block drag stuff I would drill the hole in the block face. I thinking was with a high voulume pump that one hole should lube it enough.

Does Anybody else have any experance with this?

SpeedJunkie you have any rusted threadless head bolts laying around

Old 03-01-2005, 04:11 AM
Off the Radar
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The two plugs behind the cam gear that feed the lifters have the small holes in them from GM. The main galley does not. In the GM high performance catalog, a few years back it stated the were installed to keep an air lock from occuring in these runners. All old Gen 4 engines never had them. I keep them in since it does not seem to hurt. I think it helps oiling if you have a roller bearing behind the cam sprocket.

I found this out on my first Gen 5 rebuild. I did not notice the holes and reinstalled all the plugs after the block got out of the shop. When priming the engine in the boat I noticed a bunch of oil in the bildge. One of these with the holes was installed in the rear cam passage. After pulling the engine and correcting the problem, that is what I found out.

Messy mistake.
Old 03-01-2005, 10:53 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Strip,I'm looking for just a little more HP.Can I send you my oil pump so you can port and polish it like yours?That along with the Strip/Mark one & only trick intake manifold I should break the 300hp mark! BOB
Old 03-02-2005, 12:23 AM
Rob
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Bob280Silencer
Hey Strip,I'm looking for just a little more HP.Can I send you my oil pump so you can port and polish it like yours?That along with the Strip/Mark one & only trick intake manifold I should break the 300hp mark! BOB
Yea I know I spent too much time on the oil pump

The intake does look funny doesn't it. I bet a few people would not notice whats wrong.

Bob 300 hp where your at now on HP?

Thanks linnie on the Info.Let me know how your dynoing goes .Good Luck

Rob

Last edited by Strip Poker 388; 03-02-2005 at 12:50 AM.
Old 03-02-2005, 12:31 AM
Rob
VIP Member

Ck this out I was cleaning the drive hubs up and found this on thats Bad You might want to ck yalls when ya tear it down . The splines are all mashed to a sharp point . Looks like it was fixing to strip out .Ill have to ck the shaft on the drive when I get them back from BMax.I did not know I had a problem

The last picture is the bad one .
Attached Thumbnails Hustler 500efi engine tear down & Build Up-heads-intake-015.jpg   Hustler 500efi engine tear down & Build Up-heads-intake-016.jpg   Hustler 500efi engine tear down & Build Up-heads-intake-014.jpg  

Old 03-02-2005, 12:53 AM
Rob
VIP Member

I have one short block together. The crank had .0075 end play and the main bearings had .0025-0027 and the rear had .0035..

The rods came up between .0025 and .003.

I also have the ballance cards I will post also.

Also on the Keith Eichert oil pan the Fel pro one piece gasket had a lip on the rear that had to be trimmed for the pan to sit down on the gasket . The old gasket was done the same way.I will get a pick on the next motor .
Attached Thumbnails Hustler 500efi engine tear down & Build Up-dock-009.jpg   Hustler 500efi engine tear down & Build Up-whipples-001.jpg  

Old 03-02-2005, 01:09 AM
Rob
VIP Member

Here are some more picks of my heads before the Valve jobs. Like I said I did not do a lot to the runners .Here is some of the combustion chambers . They came up to 122 cc's after the new valves ,valve job and cutting just .We cut them 007 of all 4 heads just to get them flat .The
Attached Thumbnails Hustler 500efi engine tear down & Build Up-engine-xmas-shuckers-011.jpg   Hustler 500efi engine tear down & Build Up-engine-xmas-shuckers-009.jpg   Hustler 500efi engine tear down & Build Up-engine-xmas-shuckers-008.jpg  

Quick Reply: Hustler 500efi engine tear down & Build Up

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.