Notices

Hustler 500efi engine tear down & Build Up

Old 01-26-2009, 07:27 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Vinny P
Hey Rob,

Just curious... What happened to the B-Max drives?? I would bet the lowers let go. Last summer I tore down a B-Max lower for a friend running considerably more power than you, but in a 26' single engine. He was eating lowers every 10hours or so hours. I set him up with a set of treated ( Mr Gadget ) gears. He made the entire summer ( a first ) . I believe he put something like 25 hours on it. I tought him how to do his own tear downs. This winter, he tore it down himself and found no signs of wear!! He just closed it back up, we'll see what happens this year.

I sent them back to get check out for next season, The port one I didn't think I had a prob, the oil was always clear and no metal on the mag, The Star started putting out metal around July, it was turning the oil dark and like it was full of antiseze,sliver.I had sent Dean a sample at that oil change,he said it looked fine,

Had a upper gear go badHe said he doesn't know what caused it.The lower gears are just stock Merc's. Yes the weak link,thats the reason I bought a spare lower,just in case on vacation,if it broke I could swap out and not ruin my vacation.I got a 104 hours, 2 summers on the upper gear (star) and the lower gears in the port.The Port upper he said was fine.I would of thought the upper gear would of lasted longer?

I wish this stuff would hold up like my motors

Vinny is that the same gears Smitty and Bob did?

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 01-26-2009, 07:30 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Originally Posted by JayFan
No...only small blocks. Can't fit big blocks, or so they say!

Looks like you juuuuust about got those bad boys in there.... makes me think about mine...

Are ya planing on keeping it or move up.You could put Whipples and headers,but $$$$$

I have a buddy that had one like yours 350mags,it was pretty tight looking.

Rob

Old 01-26-2009, 11:05 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Hey Rob I just found this thread, read it from the start. Great stuff on you build.

Nice to run into you at the auto show...see ya in Biloxi.

Brad.
Old 01-26-2009, 11:13 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Originally Posted by BradH
Hey Rob I just found this thread, read it from the start. Great stuff on you build.

Nice to run into you at the auto show...see ya in Biloxi.

Brad.

Same here Brad, hopefully we will have a good turn out of boats.See ya there

Old 01-27-2009, 06:23 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rob,

I would like to move up to a bigger boat and power... put if mine doesn't sell...I'll keep it stock unitl the 5 year warranty runs out, then maybe do what you suggested.
Old 01-27-2009, 07:40 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 644 Likes on 303 Posts

Originally Posted by Strip Poker 388
Same here Brad, hopefully we will have a good turn out of boats.See ya there

We will be there also, stayn at the hotel by the dry pits. Had Great time last year!!
Not enough time to bring rig down tho.

Quinlan
Old 01-27-2009, 08:16 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default wow

Rob,

You did a fantastic job of documenting and writing up your build!
Thanks for taking all the effort to share your experience with the community.

I documented the build on my new boat in the Laveycraft forum and it takes a lot more time than people think to scan and put up all that info.

Looks like an awesome ride, and as someone who has done this kind of work (although only on single engine rides) I'm sure the end result is all the sweeter everytime you turn the key.

Thanks again.

Uncle Dave

LaveyCraft 2750 Ilmor 710
LaveyCraft 10.8 Sebring tunnel 406
Old 01-27-2009, 09:54 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

Rob,
I am not sure that dick uses the exact same process as others do. I can say with certainty that I have seen remarkably extra life wit this process.
Check out this old thread.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/d...s-results.html
Old 01-30-2009, 07:34 PM
Rob
VIP Member

oklaoutlaw we will be there also,we took the boat one year,ya can see better from the parking garage.Being they probably didn't clean up out side the channel after Katrina no telling what ya might hit,Remember 30ft came thru that area.

Uncle Dave thanks for the comp,I wish I was more literate to give more info,etc.It was fun though .Ill take a look at yours

Vinny P I haven't kept up with D!cks treatment.My experience its still a week link. NO matter what style bravo drive they come up with!!

JayFan when I bought my Hustler with 40 hours on it,I left it stock for 3 summersFor what a new one cost nowI can spen money on mine keeping it perfect and still be ahead

Old 04-17-2009, 08:25 PM
Registered

Awsome job. I'm now going through my 500efi. I lost a head gasket in the rear cylinders. Is this where yours gave up? I'm going with the Dart alum heads. I've already been running 2300ax Whipple for years & until now, had zero complaints. Are you picking up water for the cooling and intercooler through the hull or do you seperate intercooler/cooling? I've noticed about 5lb lower water pressure than Whipple recommends, but I have always blamed the tiny hose to my gauge. I hope mine turns out half as well as yours. Should be gettin 800hp+ with the Darts, just before my XR grenades!

Quick Reply: Hustler 500efi engine tear down & Build Up

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.