Hustler 500efi engine tear down & Build Up >

Hustler 500efi engine tear down & Build Up

Notices

Hustler 500efi engine tear down & Build Up

Old 04-23-2009, 08:04 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Strip Poker 388
I apprecitate it Tom. Im not very literate but I guess people get the gist of it.Its fun seeing spell ck smoke

Rob
We don't care if your spell check smokes, just your boat, & your girls. Thanks for the info/suggestions for my build.

Thanks Rob,
Randy, from WAY inland
Old 05-17-2009, 02:31 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks Randy

Well the motors have been ready since Feb waiting since Dec1st on painter.so Ive been plioshing everything,The transom asymembly is NEW and ready ,even polished all of it and waxed it,the trim ram shafts polished stainless ,makes it move smoother rams buffed and waxed ,the tabs buffed and waxed,Steering rebuild and polished,drives are polished and new guts $$$and I have to fix the Bravo shop rebuild damage,leading edge and sides,Also I have the interror out and sent it back to Mcleod for new skins,Im having trouble with them now
Attached Thumbnails Hustler 500efi engine tear down & Build Up-transom-asy-2-5-10-09-022-large-2-.jpg   Hustler 500efi engine tear down & Build Up-garage-015-large-.jpg   Hustler 500efi engine tear down & Build Up-garage-006-large-.jpg  

Hustler 500efi engine tear down & Build Up-damaged-drives-5-11-09-008-large-.jpg   Hustler 500efi engine tear down & Build Up-damaged-drives-5-11-09-015-large-.jpg  

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 05-22-2009, 01:18 AM
Registered

I know the feeling. Weather here is tits & I'm ichin BAD to get out. Just to scratch the itch a little, I spent a the weekend detailing, waxing. Even parts you can't see. I just need to spend time with my girl. These people have NO sense of urgency, just get to it when they feel like. It's all the same to them. They haven't even begun to re-assemble the motor, don't yet have any of the top end parts. Block, pistons(big & shiny!) & crank are all on a table. Did you see the detail in the rods? Laser etched Mercury Racing in case you ever want to show off internal engine parts! Also had to cancel the Houseboat week at Lake Powell. That nearly induced a shooting rampage!!! If it's not done soon, you may see my wanted picture in the papers!
DAMN THESE SHOPS!!!!!!
Old 05-22-2009, 07:32 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I know the feeling Randy...
Mine is back together but the hatch wouldn't fit. It's down at Arko in Springville for hatch mods and won't be done til next week

What shop is dragging a$$?

Hey Rob, you probably know but Jason's Slingshot is packing the ICs chuck full of water with a single Teague angle mounted. Doesn't seem to cause him much drag as he's easily eclipsing the century mark at 3/4 throttle (75%TPS) Not to mention that this is at 5000 feet

Dave
Old 05-22-2009, 01:56 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Nordicflame
Mine is back together but the hatch wouldn't fit. It's down at Arko in Springville for hatch mods and won't be done til next week

Hey Rob, you probably know but Jason's Slingshot is packing the ICs chuck full of water with a single Teague angle mounted. Doesn't seem to cause him much drag as he's easily eclipsing the century mark at 3/4 throttle (75%TPS) Not to mention that this is at 5000 feet

Dave
Dave I just sent Jason my water pressure tester kit,maybe he can get a idea on the pressure? Ive been still trying to reengineer the same pick up,I ordered the lower j looking tube in a 1.5 radius there saying it will tighten it up, they said 1in I'm hoping for 1/2,with Jason saying he could cut his again a 1/2 ill be able to mount it closer to straight up.Jason's boat sounds like it going to run a good #.Thats a lot of power also

90mphRAGE I know the feeling, they wait till there ready to assemble and now there waiting on parts,its like its there first build,Same as them painting my boat ,its been there 6 months and he should know all the materials and paint he needs,he painted the side and still went back for more clear ,there supposed to paint the Deck he was making a comment that Oyea I need to order more paintWhen I tear down I already have parts coming,by the time its ready to go back,I have the stuff I forgot,little stuff makes the longer time setbacks,There is no excuse for a pro engine builder ,but from all the shops Ive been to its the norm,All of them!!!

Rob

Old 05-22-2009, 10:50 PM
Registered

Angry Dragging a$$

Originally Posted by Nordicflame

Dave
Wide Open Performance in Sandy seems to have more important projects like their own dragsters. I grew up with these guys & they build some *****in stuff. I thought I could trust them & they would give me a decent deal in a timely manner. The block was in the machine shop for 3 1/2 weeks, & since it's return has sat for 2 more weeks. They knew they needed the top end & could have had that on the way while the machinist did his thing. They haven't even ordered it yet! It's ridiculous. This is why doing business with friends results in a loss of friends. Problem is now, it's in pieces at the shop & I can hardly take it somewhere else. I should have used your guys from the get go. Going on 3 months now. Now they're wanting $2k more than my quote from Pfaff for heads. If I'd have known it was going to be such a hassle, I would have gathered all the parts myself, after all I spent many nights on this forum researching & know exactly what parts I need. Summers are short in Utah & the snow will be falling before we know it.
Old 05-27-2009, 09:22 PM
Registered

Default Stock heads?

Hey Rob,
Correct me if I'm wrong, but you used the stock heads with some work & the stock cam to get you those huge torque #'s. I was planing on Dart Pro-1 but I'm running out of time & $. Heads are out for a valve job, springs & some port polishing. Just wondering if this will work good for me. If I had any patience, my shop is getting set up for cryo treating & I would have them do some parts. They will be the only in Utah. This would put me back another month. Summer's too short. Also, did you do anything special w/ lifters or rockers? I'm more concerned with getting out than setting records.
Old 05-28-2009, 12:36 AM
Rob
VIP Member

Originally Posted by 90mphRAGE
Hey Rob,
Correct me if I'm wrong, but you used the stock heads with some work & the stock cam to get you those huge torque #'s. I was planing on Dart Pro-1 but I'm running out of time & $. Heads are out for a valve job, springs & some port polishing. Just wondering if this will work good for me. If I had any patience, my shop is getting set up for cryo treating & I would have them do some parts. They will be the only in Utah. This would put me back another month. Summer's too short. Also, did you do anything special w/ lifters or rockers? I'm more concerned with getting out than setting records.

yes stock500efi heads,I worked the bowl,cc ed the chambers,deshrouded and mirror polished them, the good and black nowguides,didn't move much on the intake side,port match to the Whipple,exhaust I did more to it,really its a waste of time if I had the money at the time could of bout some iron eagles or better,no cyro spend the money on the heads,I used a crane 741, not the best for blowers,it has more over lap.some said the stock cam would build more power,to me it was 50/50,I'm sure the bigger cam let me buz it high making more power,on he dyno after 9lbs the increasement of hp climbed slower,ruining out of head and cam.RM builder has one better that the 741,ill change to it if I change cams,Comp cams make the same cam specks as the 741,I bought new crane rockers,should of reused the old ones,I would change the crane lifters,[depending on hours] comp makes a short version,requir push rods,RM builder has the stock height,the a high quality morel,Isky makes a GOOD lifter,red zone,they also have a better spring than the comp 929. Its good insurance,remember valve train is the week link in most motors,

Rob

Old 05-28-2009, 04:42 AM
Off the Radar
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Been away from this area for a while. Glad to see you are keeping things in order. That is an awesome amount of work you are doing. Thanks for the pictures. I probally need to do all that to mine next year.
Old 05-28-2009, 08:07 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Linnie, Just stick those new blowers on there and make that hatch fit
(my hatch is out being modified; I'll shoot you some pics when I pick it up)

Randy,
Rob's spot on with RM Builder; He will spec grind any cam you want for your application. Again, hopefully you have someone to handle the ECU issue with any changes in cam and heads.
The blower has a way of over riding marginal heads Go have fun!
Also, as far as cryo treating, your guys will be the second in Utah

Dave

Quick Reply: Hustler 500efi engine tear down & Build Up

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.