Hustler 500efi engine tear down & Build Up

Old 11-18-2004, 12:58 AM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: Hustler 500efi engine tear down & Build Up

This is a one of a kind ,one off ,rare , top secret,
Strip Poker 388 Hustler special edition 500 EFI Intake ,

Me and Mark at Precision Marine http://www.precisionmarine-efi.com/ designed it [Patent pending] it out did the Arizona speed and marine intake by 42hp and it save 5.4 pounds off the stock intake.

See if ya can tell any difference between it and the stock one
Attached Thumbnails Hustler 500efi engine tear down & Build Up-hustler-motor-2-11-17-04-036.jpg   Hustler 500efi engine tear down & Build Up-hustler-motor-2-11-17-04-035.jpg  

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 11-18-2004, 05:04 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rob--Pictures are just great. Lots of folks will be comparing your pics to what they have. When you started, you probably wondered if this was worth the time/money. Now that you got into it and found a few surprises I'll bet you're glad you did it. When you're done, it'll be RIGHT and FASTER! Lou
Old 11-18-2004, 10:12 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 8 Posts

Rob:

I am really enjoying this photo session; not as much as your usual offerings but still good! Reminds me that paint and polish is only skin deep. Hey, that's kind of the same with women... :P
Old 11-19-2004, 10:11 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Lmarth
Rob- Great pictures. Boat/trailer look like they just rolled out of the showroom. Did you buy those engine cradles or make them? At the risk of embarrassing myself, what's the deal with that fitting on the bottom of the oil pan? Is that standard or was it added? Don't think my 800SC's have anything like that. As for the hatch bolts, I remember the previous owner of my Slingshot complaining that they always loosened up. I thought he said he changed them to Stainless which may keep them from galling. Keep the pictures coming-great stuff! Lou
Here ya go lou , there is a fitting in the bottom of the pan, then I made a hose with a areoquip quick connect hyd fitting on the end of it to suck out the oil.The pump is a teal pump from Granger 79.00 and the areoquip fuel hose , ridged up some battery clips with a switch and a fuse. Ya don't spill a drop and it sucks it out fast.

now if there was a good way the do the oil filter mess with it up side down it would not make a mess, this kit was real easy to make ,prob about 100.00 with out the expensive hose but i wanted it to match when i was using it
Attached Thumbnails Hustler 500efi engine tear down & Build Up-hustler-motor-2-11-17-04-001.jpg   Hustler 500efi engine tear down & Build Up-hustler-motor-2-11-17-04-002.jpg   Hustler 500efi engine tear down & Build Up-hustler-motor-2-11-17-04-003.jpg  

Old 11-19-2004, 10:20 PM
Rob
VIP Member

I opened up the oil pumps just for the hell of it , I am going to have to cut the pickup off anyway for the new pumps.prob going to get the Moroso 22162's

I have seen people deber them ,clearence the rotors and reuse them like these

#1 pick look at the groove in the side of the body ,i have never seen this before , it was on both pumps.defect? There stock pumps

2 looks like some chatter in there

3 rotor wearing in the center.

Any comments??
Attached Thumbnails Hustler 500efi engine tear down & Build Up-hustler-motor-2-11-17-04-007.jpg   Hustler 500efi engine tear down & Build Up-hustler-motor-2-11-17-04-006.jpg   Hustler 500efi engine tear down & Build Up-hustler-motor-2-11-17-04-009.jpg  

Old 11-19-2004, 10:24 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Strip Poker 388
This is a one of a kind ,one off ,rare , top secret,
Strip Poker 388 Hustler special edition 500 EFI Intake ,

Me and Mark at Precision Marine http://www.precisionmarine-efi.com/ designed it [Patent pending] it out did the Arizona speed and marine intake by 42hp and it save 5.4 pounds off the stock intake.

See if ya can tell any difference between it and the stock one
No one figured out my new intake system yet??
Attached Thumbnails Hustler 500efi engine tear down & Build Up-hustler-motor-2-11-17-04-036.jpg  

Old 11-20-2004, 03:42 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Rob--Thanks for the pics of your oil change setup, it definitely is something to think about. I change engine oil every 10-12 hours or if I smell gas on the dipstick after a lot of idling. As for your oil pumps, the groove on the inside of the housing looks like a defect. The wear pattern half way down the main gear is something I've seen before. I don't recall seeing that chattering pattern on any of the BBC pumps I've had apart. As for blueprinting the pump, I've never seen much opportunity there. Maybe a little deburring. Never saw the need to deal with any spacing issues between the end of the gears and the housing surface the end cap bolts to. What I and others on this site are sensitive to is that if you weld the pickup on, you've got to TIG weld just a tack or two. Any significant heat will cause the gears to bind in the pump housing. It's a little before your time, but folks use to 'balance' the hydraulic loads in the pump by milling grooves in the housing/cap. As I said, Other than carefully tack welding the pickup on, not much opportunity with the oil pumps. Just my opinion. Lou
Old 11-20-2004, 04:54 PM
Off the Radar
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The intake is facing towards the rear.
Old 11-20-2004, 06:18 PM
Registered

Rob thanks for all the pictures and posting your project for all to see. I also have the KE oil pan and pickup that you showed and have been down this road before. The Moroso pump that you are talking about ordering will not work with the KE pickup, because the plate on the bottom of the Moroso pump is too thick. We had 2 motors going together at the same time and both with that pan and had to send pictures to Kepp to prove what was going on. We ended up buying the pump that Keith Eickart uses which was a Melling. I can post the pictures tomorrow that shows what I am talking about.
Old 11-20-2004, 06:31 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

That Linster guy's pretty sharp! Lou

Quick Reply: Hustler 500efi engine tear down & Build Up

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.