New Supercharger System introduced in Key West >

New Supercharger System introduced in Key West

Notices

New Supercharger System introduced in Key West

Old 11-24-2004, 09:04 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: New Supercharger System introduced in Key West

I am curious what inside the hat looks like. It looks like the air just goes in and hits the top of the plenum. Is there any airflow channeling before the cooler?
Old 11-24-2004, 06:02 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 8 Posts

I 'm glad I've got you thinking about how the air enters the core; it's important.

Having the high velocity air from the blower and throttle body hit the lid is not a bad thing; it's the key to achieving a large and sudden drop in velocity, which allows you to control the air flow the way you want. Then there are turning vanes and baffles inside the compressor discharge plenum (hat) that help the air make the turn into the intercooler and distribute it evenly across the whole core. This reduces the restriction of the turn and improves cooling.

I did take some pictures of the inside but I don't think I'll show them right now...
Old 11-25-2004, 06:44 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

How is your airflow distribution across the intercooler and to each of the intake ports? I like the use of all the stock parts and port incection vs. the whipple and all the new parts and throttle body injection.
Old 11-25-2004, 06:24 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Tom,

When do you expect to have the product available to the market ?

Will the reliability factor of the 525EFI be diminished by this type of Supercharger System ?

Does the basic block require "beefing up" since you are increasing HP ?

Product looks interesting, Good Luck !
Old 11-25-2004, 07:16 PM
Registered

Hi Marty: I thought you would like the upside down throttle body. The air flow into the intake and to the ports is much better because you're coming into the top through a big centered hole at low velocity instead of in one end at high velocity. This picture was taken prior to some grinding to blend the edge of the new hole but you get the idea. The worst port on this manifold is #7. It is stuck in the back corner and has to compete with #5 for a while. By opening up the top of the manifold # 7 can also draw from the "roof" of the intake.

skaterboy: The intercoolers are on the way and the HP500EFI version should be ready for sale in January. The 525 EFI is about two months behind that.

Reliability in a supercharged engine is inversely proportional to amount of temperature and pressure being applied. Most of the failures you hear about are caused by detonation. Detonation is a result of high cylinder pressure, but is initiated primarily by excessive heat. We design our intercooler setups for the most cooling and the least restriction to air flow, but changes to the injectors, ECU, cooling system, fuel system and oil cooling system are mandatory.
Attached Thumbnails New Supercharger System introduced in Key West-upper-manifold.jpg  
Old 11-25-2004, 08:36 PM
AKA NORTECHJ
Gold Member

tom once again you have out done yourself!! when you get the pricing please email me its time for me to get hooked up with you. i did not think you could out do the tunnel ram setup but this da mn sure does it. james [email protected]
Old 11-28-2004, 04:20 PM
Registered

Thanks for the thumbs up James. It's hard to believe we have been at this for three years. With lots of help from Vortech, Nickerson, Arizona Speed & Marine, and some brave members of OSO who acted as guinea pigs, we feel lucky to have made it this far. Although the original carb supercooler is still a great flowing piece, we are very excited about this new approach to supercharging stock EFI manifolds.

With the original carb supercooler, staying under the hatch was a major design issue. EFI could be done by using Holley manifolds with 4 barrel throttle bodies. But with the stock EFI manifolds, the runner design, plenum size and throttle body position all force you to sacrifice airflow to stay under the hatch. Finally, after three different designs and much head scratching we decided to h ell with it, and went UP.

When deciding on the shape of the compressor discharge plenum that sits on top, I will admit that we were influenced by the design of billet dual carb flame arresters. Hanging the throttle body upside down from this height makes it all come together, and eliminates most of the elbows and other contortions that the air must flow through to get to the stock throttle body position.

This design uses the same 468 in3 core that we have in the original supercooler, which we have tested as high as 1000 HP. But we are already working on a twin blower variation of this design which will use a 729 in3 core.

Tom Robinson
(416) 709-8714

Last edited by tomcat; 11-28-2004 at 04:49 PM.
Old 11-29-2004, 08:28 AM
Gold Member

Flawless
Old 11-29-2004, 01:55 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Looks Great! Did you think about not using the upper plenum and just make you own and bolt it to the lower manifold? You might be able to make it 2" shorter? What injectors and computer program?
Old 11-29-2004, 02:58 PM
Registered

I got a stock upper plenum from Jim at Arizona Speed & Marine and modified it for this system. They have the tooling for this intake and if the demand is there we can modify the pattern and cast our own version. In the meantime I have worked out the procedure for milling and welding the stock plenum using two special jigs for the welding and machining. Casting and machining would be quicker and cheaper.

I don't want to make the plenum any shorter because that would reduce the height of the plenum and affect air flow. With 63 lb/hr injectors and Jim's program on the stock ECU, 800 - 1000 HP is possible.

Last edited by tomcat; 11-29-2004 at 04:31 PM.

Quick Reply: New Supercharger System introduced in Key West

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.