Notices

454/310 motor replacement options

Old 12-01-2004, 07:16 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 454/310 motor replacement options

Originally Posted by Mudball
Hey SearayJim, how's your engine coming along??????
I sure would like to come over when Bob installs it!!
Bob started assembling the engine today. I'm almost temped to drive down there just to see it.
Originally Posted by Mudball
That still blows my mind what you are doing to your little Searay!!
You aren't the only one LOL I'm still scratching my head. Only thing is, the Searay isn't all that little especially when you look at weight. She outweighs or at matches weight with a lot of go-fasts up to the 28'-29' range. So, while that motor might make one boat really fast, mine won't be 'that" fast, unless you consider it's technicly a "Deck boat" that has the aerodynamics of a brick that weights close to 6k on the water!
Old 12-01-2004, 08:35 PM
David Haag

Kent, Bob did not metion anything about the race so let me here it. I am gonna speak w/him again friday. Please, details!!!!

Old 12-02-2004, 01:05 PM
Registered

Well, here is the story of the first race with the new power...

Bob and I launched the boat after the new power was setup, to check everything out. There were a few minor issues that we took care of on the water.

We were then cruising along at about 50 watching the gauges, when a Baja came blowing by us. I don't remember the size of it, but it was bigger than my Donzi 22ZX, and it sounded good.

I looked at Bob, and said, "What do you think?"
He said, "Why not! We need to see if she'll run!"

So, I hopped his wake and blew by him!! He let off after a while...

That was fun! We hit 74.7 on that first run. Bob had his GPS along...

You will be blown away at the difference, once you get more power in there!! I'm almost 14mph faster now! I think there's a few more mph buried in there with props, etc...

Your hammer should see a huge gain, too! You're boat is also lighter.

Take care,
Kent
Old 12-02-2004, 07:01 PM
David Haag

14mph faster with that motor, thats incredable. Did you switch props from the one you were using with the 454. I have a mirage plus 23p on my baja. I have tried a 25p but the 454 is to weak to turn it at a high rpm. Your succes w/ the swap is friggen awsome. I cant wait to do mine.

Old 12-02-2004, 07:41 PM
Registered

Haven't forgot about ya David.! i'll get some pic's taken this weekend hopefully, and get them sent out to ya monday. I'm going through some new truck BS if you read my 'gm tech duramax' thread that's taking my time. This motor will make your boat fly.!
Old 12-02-2004, 08:41 PM
David Haag

Sounds good Sean. I am ready when you are. Send me those pics. Is that truck thread on this board?

Old 12-03-2004, 09:57 AM
Registered

Hi David:
Yes I switched props.
I was running a 24p Bravo with the 7.4MPI. The boat came with a Mirage Plus 23p.
The Bravo lost about 100rpm from the Mirage, and I lost about 1mph on the top, but this boat handles much better with a Bravo.

I have heard that hammer's like Mirage props better than Bravo's.

I am running a stock 28p Bravo now, mid 76's at 5,000rpm.

You might want to try a 27p or 29p Mirage Plus with your new power...

Please keep us posted!!
Kent
Old 12-03-2004, 10:38 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got a labbed 27 Mirage Plus that would be about perfect on your boat David.
Old 12-03-2004, 05:34 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by SeaRay Jim
Bob started assembling the engine today. I'm almost temped to drive down there just to see it.

You aren't the only one LOL I'm still scratching my head. Only thing is, the Searay isn't all that little especially when you look at weight. She outweighs or at matches weight with a lot of go-fasts up to the 28'-29' range. So, while that motor might make one boat really fast, mine won't be 'that" fast, unless you consider it's technicly a "Deck boat" that has the aerodynamics of a brick that weights close to 6k on the water!
That is exciting that your engine is underway!! I hope someone at FTM is taking pictures during the build for you, if you can't make it down...

Weight is one thing, POWER is another. It's pretty easy to push a brick pretty fast, if you have power!! You WILL have power, and PLENTY of it! The parts I saw for your engine belong in a museum.

I can't wait to hear about your stories when you pull away from some 'go fast' boats, in your SEARAY!!! You will have one heck of a sleeper!

Take care,
Kent

Last edited by Mudball; 12-03-2004 at 05:38 PM.
Old 12-03-2004, 05:39 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by bobl
I've got a labbed 27 Mirage Plus that would be about perfect on your boat David.
There ya go!!

Quick Reply: 454/310 motor replacement options

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.