Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
AFR Exhaust Ports (Pipe Dreams?) >

AFR Exhaust Ports (Pipe Dreams?)

Notices

AFR Exhaust Ports (Pipe Dreams?)

Old 12-14-2004, 08:29 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: AFR Exhaust Ports (Pipe Dreams?)

Originally Posted by bobl
Question for Jim V. I've got a customer that I'm going to build a 502 for. The short block will remain stock(blueprinted) using a Crane 731 cam or similar. Going with a Air Gap intake and 9022 Holley. Obviously the HP is in the cylinder heads. I'm thinking of having you do me a set of heads. We can go iron or aluminum. What head would you start with? Those Iron Eagle exhaust numbers sure looked impressive, what about a fully ported set of those? I want the engine to peak at no more than 5500 RPM.

Thanks,
Bob

Bob, I would start with the 325 Darts with a bowl port/short turn work on the intake, some chamber work and some bowl work/short turn work on the exhaust side. This should work well with that camshaft lift numbers.

Pleasure meeting you and Trevor at PRI. Sorry I couldn't spend more time. Do you have Trevor's number, I would like to take a look at that head, thanks JimV

Last edited by JimV; 12-14-2004 at 08:32 AM.
Old 12-14-2004, 08:34 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by cobra marty
JimV, those 454 numbers look great. What would a 540 do? About 675-700HP and TQ at the same rpm and CR?

Thanks Marty! The 540's usually make 700 hp depending on cam C.R. and carb.
Old 12-14-2004, 08:36 AM
mjb
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the #'s on the 308's Jim. I just received mine by ups. Curious what #'s I will get after a little bowl work.
Old 12-14-2004, 08:48 AM
Registered

I'm geting ready to put some new CNC heads on a quad-rotor set-up and was wonder how the different brands stack up, Dart, Brodix, AFR, & Profiler. Any insight would be helpful.
Old 12-14-2004, 03:33 PM
Registered

The deck thickness is to thin in the Dart Pro One heads. Ported the Brodies or AFR's will work. No first hand experience with the Profilers. my 2 cents
Old 12-17-2004, 08:49 AM
Registered

Jim V, what do you think of the Dart 370 oval port. I have heard good things about these.What about the deck thickness is that an issue here?I did here about the deck thickness issue from someone else but wasn't sure how much stock to put into it.Sorry about the 20 questions, I just want to get it right the first time.By the way I rebuilding some 598"s that I'm going to put quad-rotors on and run 93 oct ro 100ll jsut wondering what head you would use THANKS...
Old 12-17-2004, 09:47 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by 42MTI
Jim V, what do you think of the Dart 370 oval port. I have heard good things about these.What about the deck thickness is that an issue here?I did here about the deck thickness issue from someone else but wasn't sure how much stock to put into it.Sorry about the 20 questions, I just want to get it right the first time.By the way I rebuilding some 598"s that I'm going to put quad-rotors on and run 93 oct ro 100ll jsut wondering what head you would use THANKS...

If the 370 head that your refering to is the 18 degree head, that's a nice piece. I don't have any first hand experience with them yet but I think they would work great with your 598's. Deck thickness shouldn't be a problem. The pro one's are a little thin for boost.
Old 12-17-2004, 02:26 PM
Registered

My understanding from Dart is that the 370 an update on the 360 still being a conventional head with 24* intakes. They said it flows like 411 @ 750".Dustin at whipple seemed to like this head as well. Their web sit also mentions a Big M head that is 411cc intake, which has 2.35 intake valves, they said this not a cnc head but they could cnc it. Now I'm really confused.
Old 12-17-2004, 03:25 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 42MTI
My understanding from Dart is that the 370 an update on the 360 still being a conventional head with 24* intakes. They said it flows like 411 @ 750".Dustin at whipple seemed to like this head as well. Their web sit also mentions a Big M head that is 411cc intake, which has 2.35 intake valves, they said this not a cnc head but they could cnc it. Now I'm really confused.

I ran the big M heads on my Blown 540 with good results but I didn't do a back to back.... although the boat went the fastest with those heads. Yes they have huge intake volumes that flow big numbers at .600 lift and up. The lower numbers are about the same as the smaller ports. Unless your lifting the valve over .700 they problaby will not benifiet your application. I will check on the 370 head. I think were talking about two different castings.
Old 12-17-2004, 11:10 PM
Registered

The information that I am hearing from Dustin is like a 750+" lift solid roller. I will probably run 100ll and try to turn it about 6400 rpm.Dustin says this combo has made between 1300 and 1400 with either the AFR 357 or the dart 370 cnc.
Have you had any trouble with the Big M. My engine builder said that a customer brought in a set off of a drag car with one of the studs pulled out.It wasn't his work and they had already been repaired so he did know what caused it.He did say they had been heavy ported.He actually had liked them until he say this stud problem which may have had more to do with the port work than the head.

Quick Reply: AFR Exhaust Ports (Pipe Dreams?)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.