Fuel and Octane

Notices

Fuel and Octane

Old 12-09-2004, 09:42 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Fuel and Octane

Okay. So, I need to run a premium fuel of at least 91 octane.
I've been going to a marina that sells it, but it's out of the way, and pretty pricy.

(1)
My own marina sells 89 that has an additive called "ValvTect." It's supposed to be a stabilizer and an octane booster. Has anyone heard of this? Would I be safe using it?
Here's some more info:
http://www.valvtect.com/consumer.asp

(2)
Second, there are a wide range of so-called octane booster additives available at the auto parts. For instance, Lucas Oil makes one that claims an increase of one octane point per bottle added to 25 gallons of fuel.

Are these any good and can they safely and effectively raise the octane like they claim? Is there a difference between "boosted high octane" fuel and "real" high octane fuel?

Thanks.
Old 12-09-2004, 10:16 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Fuel and Octane

Valvtect was introduced when lead was eliminated from fuel in order to lube valve seats. Old guys like me remember when the old engines required this until hardened seats were introduced. I'm not sure about it's octane boost capability but would not believe the octane rating is any higher than what's posted on the pump.
When I was running my 525SCs, I ALWAYS bought 93 octane and would usually add a bottle of booster on top of it. I never trust anything off the Autozone shelf entirely. Afterall, I'm not going to get any money from them if I melt a piston.
One other note, gas goes bad over time, and I discovered that NO ONE had bought any 93 octane from my marina between two times I filled up there, IN 4 WEEKS! So buy good gas from a good marina and a bottle of booster doesn't hurt.
Gary
Old 12-09-2004, 10:23 AM
RHC
Registered

" A bottle" ? most additives only treat 20 gallons. maybe a case a tank.
Old 12-09-2004, 10:41 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How long will fuel last in the boat before it goes bad?
Old 12-09-2004, 12:19 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks guys. Here's what valvtect has to say:

"Power boaters nationwide have a new gasoline available that is specially formulated for heavy-duty high performance marine engines. ValvTect Petroleum has introduced its new ValvTect Marine Gasoline formulated with a patented technology to improve the octane performance of heavy-duty marine gasoline engines. The product, ValvTect Octane Performance Improver has been test proven to improve engine octane performance up to 5 numbers, prevent premature engine wear up to 70%, significantly improve stability and reduce fuel consumption up to 8%.

And ya, a bottle won't do a whole lot, need the case.

Here's some info from Lucas:

Lucas Octane Booster

Lucas Octane Booster - A Real Octane Booster! Tested and proven to deliver three times more boost than most other brands. Lucas Octane Booster is a GENUINE Performance Enhancer! One 15 oz. bottle treats up to 25 gallons of fuel. Not street legal.

Key Benefits

* Safe for turbos, oxygen sensors and catalytic converters
* Suitable for use in fuel injected and carbureted engines
* Provides more boost than most other brands
* Promotes clean fuel burn for fewer emissions

Packaging

* #10026 - Case of 15 oz. bottles (12x1) - 14 lbs

Any thoughts.
Old 12-09-2004, 03:39 PM
A to Z
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Quiet Storm
How long will fuel last in the boat before it goes bad?

if you have to ask, its probably already bad...
Old 12-09-2004, 03:45 PM
Registered

There was a thread about this sometime ago. I believe I remember that gas goes bad (loses octane rating) rather quickly. I would like to say I remember it loses several points within a 30 day period. Be careful if not using a fuel stabilizer over winter layup!!!! Or put it away empty and fill with fresh high octane at least on the first fill up.
Old 12-09-2004, 04:10 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Sean H
if you have to ask, its probably already bad...
Anyone need 200 gallons of bad gas?
Old 12-09-2004, 09:09 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 139 Likes on 84 Posts

Be aware that "marketing procedure" commonly refers to octane improvement in POINTS. Problem is, they are left to their own in defining what a POINT is.

Scan the fine print on some of the bottles of octane booster on the shelves, and you will see that 10 POINTS correspond to ONE unit of octane. 5 points is ONE-HALF of an octane unit.

The ValvTect used in marina gas is mostly a fuel stabilizer. I looked into it a few years back to see if our marina was wasting money by using it. Decided that it was worth the 4c per gallon from the standpoint of fuel stability. The added lead doesn't hurt anything cause even on hard seats it is a cushioning agent (there's not enough in it to make a big deal, else it would be illegal for boat gas with the greenies on rampage). The octane improver doesn't help the octane any noteworthy amount.

Remember that it takes a LOT of octane improver to do squat. Anything you add at less than 10:1 isn't going to do much.
Old 12-09-2004, 11:24 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

i use to mix 110 octane leaded gas with 93 unleaded. you gat a large jump in octane just by adding a gallon to 20, @ 3.75 a gallon its an inexpensive octane booster and the added lead is good for the valves and seats. i use to race 2 stroke bikes and had good luck with 104 octane booster also. just my .02

Quick Reply: Fuel and Octane

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.