Is this motor winterized safely? >

Is this motor winterized safely?

Notices

Is this motor winterized safely?

Old 12-15-2004, 07:43 AM
OSO Moderator
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Is this motor winterized safely?

I had a Merc mechanic friend help me winterize my motors. He winterized the motor a different way than I am used to doing.

This was the process:
Start the motor on the hose till warm and thermostat opened up. He had a large bucket of 4 gal of -100 degree antifreeze with a hose attached. Removed fresh water hose and hooked up bucket w/ AF. Started motor, when bucket was 1/2 empty, he fogged motor until AF bucket was empty. Then shut off motor.

Is this motor properly protected for cold temps? Not questioning the fogging, but the AF method and quantity of AF. The block was full of fresh water, then we ran AF through. Is 4 gal enough to flush out a block that was full of water???

'00 Scarab Sport 302 CC
'02 Cigarette Top Gun TS
'02 PQ 340
'00 PQ 280
'98 Scarab 22
'97 Baja Outlaw 20
'72 Checkmate
'65 Glastron
Old 12-15-2004, 07:57 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Re: Is this motor winterized safely?

That is the same thing I have done for the last 4 years, and I live in Wisconsin. I have never drained anything. I also have never "fogged" the engines. If you had a car that you didn't drive in the winter would you drain the block or fog the engine? I have heard all the ways others have winterized their boats, I have winterized the last 3 boats the same way that your mechanic did yours and never had any problems. I guess until I prove myself that the way I do it is wrong I will continue my 10 minute and $40.00 worth of antifreeze winterization.
Old 12-15-2004, 07:58 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 259 Likes on 144 Posts
Default Re: Is this motor winterized safely?

I do mine the same way!
Old 12-15-2004, 08:06 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 345 Likes on 116 Posts

I do mine pretty much the same way except that I don't run thermostats. I drain the block and then start it up with a 5 gallon container full of anti-freeze. After about 3.5 gallons are in it, it starts coming out of the exhaust and I fog the chit out of it and shut her down. I use the -50 cherry juice so I would think that if you are using the -100, it's OK that it's diluted...You should be fine.
Old 12-15-2004, 08:17 AM
BiggBlok

I have a low water pickup on my Bravo I... Just by looking at the water attachment that slips over the nose cone to hook to a hose, I'd say that if I put a hose in a bucket of antifreeze, it'd either never create suction in order to suck it into the motor or if I gravity fed, I'd have it all over the place.

I've never tried it though... have any of you done this with a low water pickup?

Thanks

Old 12-15-2004, 08:37 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You need to be very careful doing this with any kind of drive pickup. It tends to aerate the fluid going in and you sometimes will not get a good amount of antifreeze circulated in the block. Even if it shows up in the exhaust it may not have displaced the water in the block properly. It is always a good idea to have direct flush fittings on the boat anyway and this is where they really help. If you are feeding the pump directly you have a nice solid flow of antifreeze and 4 gallons is plenty. If it is going in with a bunch of air you may have some pockets of fresh left in there. One way to help that is to drain the block, then run the antifreeze in like Craig does.
Old 12-15-2004, 09:18 AM
BiggBlok

If I wanted to put in a Tee in, to attach a hose for flushing, where do these normally get installed, on the input side of the pump? I'd imagine you'd have to do that to prevent it from burning up the impeller for the lack of water! What kind of valve would you put there? Is there something at the hardware store I can pick up?

Once you put this valve in, do you just attach a hose to a bucket of antifreeze and let it suck it into the motor?

Seems like keeping antifreeze or the red stuff would be better than being empty... less corrosion??

Old 12-15-2004, 09:19 AM
Charter Member #30
Charter Member

Received 18 Likes on 6 Posts

I do a very similar process on mine but we try to drain the water out of the block first so the propylene is not diluted too much. We also use some type of scope??? to check the protection (strength) of the solution coming out of the exhaust. No guessing you know for sure how many degrees below zero your good for.
Old 12-15-2004, 09:35 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since I cant get at my plugs much less my water drains, I have thick wall hose connected to each drain that ends up at the transom top. I just attach my oil change pump to each hose in turn and suck the engines dry. Then run in the antifreeze as above. I was also worried about pockets of unprotected water in the block.
Old 12-15-2004, 10:18 AM
artselectricinc.com
Platinum Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by BillR
I had a Merc mechanic friend help me winterize my motors. He winterized the motor a different way than I am used to doing.

This was the process:
Start the motor on the hose till warm and thermostat opened up. He had a large bucket of 4 gal of -100 degree antifreeze with a hose attached. Removed fresh water hose and hooked up bucket w/ AF. Started motor, when bucket was 1/2 empty, he fogged motor until AF bucket was empty. Then shut off motor.

Is this motor properly protected for cold temps? Not questioning the fogging, but the AF method and quantity of AF. The block was full of fresh water, then we ran AF through. Is 4 gal enough to flush out a block that was full of water???
We winterize two or three dozen boats a year using the same process. Except that we run five gallons instead of four. The only problem that we have had is a heater froze one year. Now, if there is a heater in the system we will drain it manually by blowing air thru it after we have winterized everything else.

Steve H

Quick Reply: Is this motor winterized safely?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.