Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Solid vs. Hydraulic Roller (Performance) >

Solid vs. Hydraulic Roller (Performance)

Notices

Solid vs. Hydraulic Roller (Performance)

Old 12-20-2004, 09:33 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 862 Likes on 401 Posts
Default Re: Solid vs. Hydraulic Roller (Performance)

???
Old 12-21-2004, 10:38 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have no real intentions of changing cams at this point. I just like to bring this topic up occasionally to see if anyone can truly answer the question. I agree that there would be some significant performance losses in my application if I were to try a hydraulic roller. Now the radiused Schubeck deal is very interesting. I know JDNCA1 ran them and they dynoed very comparable to the solid roller, but he only put 4 or 5 hrs. on them before getting his new boat. Hopefully Mr. Gadgets has good results to report next fall and maybe this will be an option for all of us to consider. Thanks for the replies!!

Craig
Old 12-21-2004, 11:01 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by WETTE VETTE
I have no real intentions of changing cams at this point. I just like to bring this topic up occasionally to see if anyone can truly answer the question. I agree that there would be some significant performance losses in my application if I were to try a hydraulic roller. Now the radiused Schubeck deal is very interesting. I know JDNCA1 ran them and they dynoed very comparable to the solid roller, but he only put 4 or 5 hrs. on them before getting his new boat. Hopefully Mr. Gadgets has good results to report next fall and maybe this will be an option for all of us to consider. Thanks for the replies!!

Craig
Yeah!... let someone else be the guinea pig on those things... I'd like to know their longevity.....
Old 12-21-2004, 12:57 PM
Registered

Seeing as that you are maxing about 6400 RPMs then I would say you wouldn't see much difference in horsepower if everything else were the same. You would however spend less time in valve train maintenance every season if you used the hyd-roller.

Roby
Old 12-21-2004, 01:50 PM
Registered

Robyw1,
It may seem that way, but the characteristics of hydraulic vs solid lifters cannot be compared on an apples to apples basis. A hydraulic roller cannot open the valves as quickly as the solid so for the exact duration at .050" numbers the hydraulic roller will need more seat to seat duration. This holds true for durations @ .100, .200, etc. Realistically for a hydraulic roller to idle well the duration @ .050" is going to be something less than the solid roller's duration at .050, and the lift is going to be less as well. All of this obviously will have an effect on how the motor performs from idle to WOT. I just thought it would be fun to ask how much? Really the hydraulic roller must be chosen without considering the soild that is in the motor now. Size the cam for the motor and its application and see where it ends up. Since we all know the solid roller size it will be hard to not just select the largest hydraulic roller we can find, which will likely be too large for the application, but it may compare in numbers to the solid. Anyone out there have a proven strong performing hydraulic roller for this scenario?

Craig
Old 12-21-2004, 02:28 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

.740 lift...those poor valve springs, are you cooling them with oil?
Old 12-21-2004, 02:37 PM
Registered

B4more,
I am not running spray bars for additional cooling. Net lift is actually only about .720!! These valve springs are made for endurance applications and so far after 15 hrs. they have only lost a few pounds on the seat. Time will tell, and if they make it to 50 hrs they will be replaced regardless of seat readings. 50 hrs for me is 2-3 seasons!

Craig
Old 12-21-2004, 02:49 PM
Registered

Which ones you runnin?
We're havin good luck with the Isky tool room golds...hyd cam 248/258-.607/.618
Old 12-21-2004, 02:57 PM
Registered

Isky Tool Room Golds # 9945. I have heard good things about all of Isky's springs. Nickerson did my heads and these are what he recommends. He feels I should be able to get 100 hrs out of these without a problem.
Old 12-21-2004, 03:04 PM
Registered

Thats good to hear...my guy Jason Saris says 200hrs for us.

Quick Reply: Solid vs. Hydraulic Roller (Performance)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.