Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Solid vs. Hydraulic Roller (Performance) >

Solid vs. Hydraulic Roller (Performance)

Notices

Solid vs. Hydraulic Roller (Performance)

Old 12-21-2004, 08:12 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Solid vs. Hydraulic Roller (Performance)

Originally Posted by WETTE VETTE
Robyw1,
It may seem that way, but the characteristics of hydraulic vs solid lifters cannot be compared on an apples to apples basis. A hydraulic roller cannot open the valves as quickly as the solid so for the exact duration at .050" numbers the hydraulic roller will need more seat to seat duration. This holds true for durations @ .100, .200, etc. Realistically for a hydraulic roller to idle well the duration @ .050" is going to be something less than the solid roller's duration at .050, and the lift is going to be less as well. All of this obviously will have an effect on how the motor performs from idle to WOT. I just thought it would be fun to ask how much? Really the hydraulic roller must be chosen without considering the soild that is in the motor now. Size the cam for the motor and its application and see where it ends up. Since we all know the solid roller size it will be hard to not just select the largest hydraulic roller we can find, which will likely be too large for the application, but it may compare in numbers to the solid. Anyone out there have a proven strong performing hydraulic roller for this scenario?

Craig
I kinda meant everything else being the same as in other than valvetrain. I would predict the numbers would be very close if we wern't exceeding... say 6500 RPM

Roby
Old 12-21-2004, 08:54 PM
Registered

This is your engine.
Attached Thumbnails Solid vs. Hydraulic Roller (Performance)-iskys-finest.jpg   Solid vs. Hydraulic Roller (Performance)-oopshyd.jpg   Solid vs. Hydraulic Roller (Performance)-pushthru.jpg  

Last edited by robyw1; 12-21-2004 at 08:58 PM.
Old 12-21-2004, 08:56 PM
Registered

This is your engine on pushrods
Attached Thumbnails Solid vs. Hydraulic Roller (Performance)-purdy.jpg   Solid vs. Hydraulic Roller (Performance)-rod-said-im-outa-here.jpg   Solid vs. Hydraulic Roller (Performance)-thatll-clean-right-up.jpg  

Old 12-21-2004, 08:58 PM
Registered

Any Questions?
Attached Thumbnails Solid vs. Hydraulic Roller (Performance)-blownengine5.jpg   Solid vs. Hydraulic Roller (Performance)-engine31.jpg   Solid vs. Hydraulic Roller (Performance)-skirt.jpg  

Old 12-21-2004, 09:03 PM
Registered

That is one beat-up SBC!! Can you put your finger on the series of events that led to that? It almost looks like maybe the lifter siezed and held the valve open which hit the piston!! Ugly!!
Old 12-22-2004, 08:04 AM
Registered

I'm not sure it is all the same engine (although it might as well be) I did a search on Yahoo for blown engine pictures. Some of them were too scary to post

Roby
Old 12-22-2004, 09:46 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 12-22-2004, 09:46 AM
cstraub69@comcast

Matching the camshaft to the engines application and rpm range is far more important then what type of cam used. Power gains or losses can be offset with this. Sure an engine may feel like its making power, but when one is tweaked the gains can be considerable.

Chris

Old 12-22-2004, 10:46 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The bigger the motor, the more it will benefit from a solid. 572" + and a solid will start walking away even @5000....hydralic just can't open and close the valves fast enough regardless of lift.
Old 12-22-2004, 12:27 PM
Registered

I totally agree Chris!! That being said if the correctly matched cam of each type were compared how much difference in performance? My 598" package was a proven combo that Nickerson uses on a regular basis. He claims dyno results from this package have ranged from 800 to 840 HP. According to WPM my boat needs 750 HP to do 110, and with this motor it does 115, which makes me feel like it is inline with what Nickerson claims. So is 800 HP attainable with a hydraulic roller all else being the same with this motor in some of your expert opinions? Would the accdeleration be comparable? Where will the hydraulic roller suffer compared to the solid? Appreciate all replies. This is a fun debate for me and I am really surprised nobody has any solid answers, only opinions!!

Quick Reply: Solid vs. Hydraulic Roller (Performance)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.