Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Solid vs. Hydraulic Roller (Performance) >

Solid vs. Hydraulic Roller (Performance)

Notices

Solid vs. Hydraulic Roller (Performance)

Old 12-20-2004, 09:00 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Solid vs. Hydraulic Roller (Performance)

It is common knowledge that a solid roller will out perform a hydraulic roller at the cost of durability. The question is how much HP / Torque / Performance advantage does the solid really produce? I will use my motor as an example for the solid roller and let some of the engine guru's give opinions on how much less a hydraulic roller would produce. My motor is NA 598" with 10:1 compression. The heads are Dart 355 CNC with a match ported Dart single plane intake. The carb is a Nickerson stage 5 1250 Dominator and I use a 1" open spacer. The exhaust is CMI Sport Tubes, which are true headers and finally the cam is a 264/270 dur. @ .050" lift on a 114 LSA installed on 112 intake CL with .740" lift and .020" lash HOT. The motor has not been dynoed, but in the boat it seems very "happy" from 3000 to 6400 RPM. It has a decent idle and enough low end power for its application (23' cat). So, if the solid roller were replaced with a hydraulic roller what could be expected?

Craig
Old 12-20-2004, 12:19 PM
MarineKinetics
Platinum Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Solid vs. Hydraulic Roller (Performance)

Craig,
What spec Hyd-roller are you you considering running? It would be nearly impossible to apples to apples baseline this solid roller to a comparable Hyd roller due to design considerations.
Bob
Old 12-20-2004, 12:44 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good point Bob!! I really have no clue? It would have to be determined based on my motor and a marine application. If the hydraulic duration at .050" were very close to that of the solid roller my guess is it would be a poor idling cam due to the slower ramps requiring more seat to seat duration. I guess I am just looking for an educated guess as to how much difference exists between a properly specified hydraulic roller compared to a properly specified solid roller. I guess for now we can assume my solid roller is properly specified since the motor idles well and has very good power throughout the entire RPM range.

Craig
Old 12-20-2004, 03:31 PM
merlin540

if your not going over 6500 i would stick with hyd roller but as you know the 7500 rpm passes that the AGITATOR made i think you know it has a solid roller seeya

Last edited by merlin540; 12-20-2004 at 05:02 PM.

Old 12-20-2004, 04:26 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The "741" sure won't get it done........ I asked the various cam company experts about this for my old 632", consensus was a LOSS of 125HP over the solid roller I ran...of course lack of lift was the killer IMO.
Old 12-20-2004, 05:43 PM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I looked into the liquid roller cams and they all seem kinda whimpy by solid comparisons. I think you are too big to "not loose a lot", going backwards. I talked with a few cam companies and they start out real small.. I quiz them on the big stuff and they shriek. So for now I will stick with the solid roller.. well lets say I am going back to it. Cant keep a flat tappet cam in my motor, so wheels it is.. the axleless kind.. See if that works..
Old 12-20-2004, 05:53 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

Dick,

I guess you have decided on Shubeck lifters.. I hope they work for you. We all know you deserve a break with cams and lifters lately.
Old 12-20-2004, 05:59 PM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah Vinny,, thats the choice. I am a sucker for the new stuff. I ordered them a while back. Hoping to see them under the tree, but if not. Well the water is gettin hard here, so I have some time.

Dick
Old 12-20-2004, 06:05 PM
GPM
Registered

Received 81 Likes on 59 Posts

have you tried the crower 66291 with the high pressure pin oiling
Old 12-20-2004, 08:32 PM
Registered

Schubeck radius lifters make MORE power than roller lifters....... They are light and need much less spring. I witnessed on my old motor

Quick Reply: Solid vs. Hydraulic Roller (Performance)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.