Best practic for cutting hole in aluminum dash for new gauges >

Best practic for cutting hole in aluminum dash for new gauges

Notices

Best practic for cutting hole in aluminum dash for new gauges

Old 12-30-2004, 09:47 AM
Registered

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Re: Best practic for cutting hole in aluminum dash for new gauges

Sounds like Lofty has the best way to go. If you decide to use a hole saw get a bi-metal one . They are usually white. Lenox is a good brand. Any hardware store or big box store will have them. Although I haven't tried this, I've heard to run the drill in reverse, with the WD40 as a lubricant. This is supposed to keep the teeth in the hole saw from clogging up with alluminum. The knock out punch make a nice clean hole but if your cutting more than just the alluminum (wood , fiberglass) it won't work so well and they cost a lot.
Old 01-01-2005, 11:39 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,297 Likes on 449 Posts

I forgot the part about running it in reverse, I was told that as well and it worked!! that way it scores the metal and starts a great hole when its deep enough to stop the bit from walking then go forward.
Old 01-01-2005, 11:01 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I drilled my own using a 2-1/16" bimetal holesaw from Enco Tools. You can order either Starret or Morse saws from them for cheap. The Morse have a nice big pilot bit. I built my dash from flat 1/8" Aluminum sheet, so I was able to put it on my vertical mill and use DRO to drill the patterns exactly. When I don't want to get that scientific, I use a low, 600 RPM air drill (Porter Cable) with a side handle on it. The saw does not get going fast enough to build up any heat, and it is easy to keep the angle constant to get a smooth cut without it hooking up on you. By all means, use a hole saw intended for drilling in metals for best results, not a cheapo wood saw!
Old 01-02-2005, 07:18 PM
Masher touches my
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try a Greenlee Knock out kit. They make hole puches from 1/2 to 6". Any proffesional electrician supply place should carry them. They use them to put holes in panels for conduit. You can buy a hydraulic kit or a manual kit, you wont need the hydraulic kit for aluminum. Just figure out what size you need and find the bits accordingly. They will have the exact size of the hole on the bits and what sive conduit it is for. Make sure you buy the bit for the exact size hole and not for the conduit it will fit. They really arent that expensive, you can purchase a kit from 1/2 to 2" with a ratchet for under 200.00 dollars, you may just want to buy the exact sizes you need and use your own ratchet. Dont buy cheap brands or Harbor frieght junk, I know the Greenlee stuff is top of the line and it will definantly work for you.
Old 01-02-2005, 08:33 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by formula31
Will they work on 1/8" aluminum 6061? I have a set of greenfields but I never figured they would go through anything that thick.

I would say yes ....those greenlee punches work great ...some of the larger ones use Hydraulic's to squeeze the punch thru ....might could rent em ..