Engine balancing question >

Engine balancing question

Notices

Engine balancing question

Old 01-01-2005, 09:23 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Engine balancing question

NO - He may have just gotten lucky and the original rods ( 6.625 ) were light and the ( 6.535 rods were heavy out of the box.
Old 01-02-2005, 08:55 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Making the total rod weight end up the same, as well as the big ends and small ends all end up the same is a real long shot. If it were me I'd just have the shop balance the rods and spin the crank.
Old 01-02-2005, 10:18 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 140 Likes on 85 Posts

total rod weight being the same - maybe.
big end weight being the same, too? not likely.

Both weights factor into the balance.
You already knew that, you were just distracted.
Old 01-02-2005, 10:40 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

BADGIRL
Happy new year to all the oso crew some things are correct and others are'nt what you need to do is recheck all the weights over your rod rotating rod reciprocating piston and pin rings brgs and assure yourself that the bob weight does not vary more than 10 grams less the bob weight can not be heavier then the original . If you have a larger difference than 10 grams less than the original I would recommender to rebalance the entire assembly not just the crank sometimes different weight affects different areas of the assembly more or less include your drive plate also if you have to rebalance.You might be able to check your bob weight yourself if your balance shop gave you a balance card with your weights you can compare them to your new weights and do the math if you need any help please feel free to call or email me anytime Sincerely Yours Laz Mesa P.S. Please stop down and see us at the Miami boat show in Feb. booth 4184
Old 01-03-2005, 08:44 AM
Registered

M.B., that's why I recommended that the original balancing shop be asked if they still had the work sheet from the first balance job. It will have all the component weights on it to save some time and effort that would be spent verifying individual components. Just my two cents.
Old 01-03-2005, 11:13 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Thanks everyone, I now know which direction to go.
Old 01-03-2005, 02:41 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MESA BALANCING
BADGIRL
Happy new year to all the oso crew some things are correct and others are'nt what you need to do is recheck all the weights over your rod rotating rod reciprocating piston and pin rings brgs and assure yourself that the bob weight does not vary more than 10 grams less the bob weight can not be heavier then the original . If you have a larger difference than 10 grams less than the original I would recommender to rebalance the entire assembly not just the crank sometimes different weight affects different areas of the assembly more or less include your drive plate also if you have to rebalance.You might be able to check your bob weight yourself if your balance shop gave you a balance card with your weights you can compare them to your new weights and do the math if you need any help please feel free to call or email me anytime Sincerely Yours Laz Mesa P.S. Please stop down and see us at the Miami boat show in Feb. booth 4184
Hey Laz ... just ballpark figure ...all this already apart ...what kinda $$ we talkin to Balance an entire assemby ? Seems foolish to go this far without doing it ?
Old 01-03-2005, 03:40 PM
Gold Member

Originally Posted by offthefront
Hey Laz ... just ballpark figure ...all this already apart ...what kinda $$ we talkin to Balance an entire assemby ? Seems foolish to go this far without doing it ?

Amen to that... he is the best when it comes to balancing, he does it for many big time engine builders all over the nation.