Whats the diff between a #5 and #6

Notices

Whats the diff between a #5 and #6

Old 01-01-2005, 09:19 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Whats the diff between a #5 and #6

What is the power rating that a #5 can handle vs a #6. I have #5s wet sump mounted on a Stellings ext. box with a 1.47 gear and Bam 1440 trans. Is the #6 dry sump that more effecient or will it rob about the same amount of hp. I really like my boat but want to pic up some speed, presently 83 mph, and if can do it through being more effecient with converting to a dry sump #6 or Weisman drive I might go that route, cause I have 2 people interested in the drives from tranny on back. Thanks Jeff
Attached Thumbnails Whats the diff between a #5 and #6-web-dcp_1071-222-.jpg   Whats the diff between a #5 and #6-dsc04112.jpg   Whats the diff between a #5 and #6-web-props-456-.jpg  

Old 01-01-2005, 09:26 AM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Re: Whats the diff between a #5 and #6

Ask about the X Dim
Old 01-01-2005, 09:50 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There may be a few mph waiting just by changing your set-up. Things you would have to do anyway if you were to change drives.

I would make sure the drives are at the optimum height, props are at the optimum diameter and pitch, weight distribution has been moved around to find the optimum weight distribution and the motors are running at the optimum rpm for speed.

You may be surprised how much more speed there is just from a proper set-up. Not only may you pick up speed but the entire attitude of the boat may change, for the better. If you are not experienced in setting up a boat there are riggers out there who can make the best of what you have. Paying a good rigger for a couple days work dialing in your boat is probably one of the most cost effective things you can do for your boat for speed and handling.

It is not surprising for a properly rigged boat vs an improperly rigged boat to pick up 5-10 mph. Without any engine work!

If you would like any more information don't hesitate to give us a call.

Matt
Old 01-01-2005, 09:53 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I am uncertain where the x dim is at present. Nortech has never done a #5 boat, and then on top of it with boxes. What I was trying to orig. do was with the boxes put the prop further out into the water to gain more speed and react if anyway possible somewhat closer to a #6. I know dry sump is more effecient to begin with, but I was told the leverage of the boxes is about the same as a 6, and with only 750hp per side it would be over rated for that application. Jeff
Old 01-01-2005, 10:45 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jassman may want to do a search on this site. HP ratings and HP losses with wet vs dry sump Speedmaster drives was discussed about a month ago. As I recall, #5 was rated for 750 hp and the #6's for 1000hp. I believe dry sumps picked up at least 35 hp. I'm doing these numbers from memory. Obviously the Speedmasters will tolerate more then they're rated for. I've got #5's with a high 'x' dimension on my Slingshot. Next chance I get, I'll measure where the prop shaft is relative to the bottom of the hull. Throttleup makes good points about proper setup. Everyone focuses on the props, but simple bottom changes, drive height,etc definitely help. Not popular except with the racers is weight in the bow that puts the prop shaft roughly parallel with the bottom of the boat.For what it's worth...Lou
Old 01-01-2005, 11:09 AM
'05 Concept SF23
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I am also a customer of TMP, however you might want to contact Competition Marine Center in MO. They are very knowledgble in set up with SSM drives. It might be worth your time to talk to them. They will want to know your "X", prop info, HP, speed vs RPM, ect.
Old 01-01-2005, 01:25 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by throttleup
There may be a few mph waiting just by changing your set-up. Things you would have to do anyway if you were to change drives.

I would make sure the drives are at the optimum height, props are at the optimum diameter and pitch, weight distribution has been moved around to find the optimum weight distribution and the motors are running at the optimum rpm for speed.

You may be surprised how much more speed there is just from a proper set-up. Not only may you pick up speed but the entire attitude of the boat may change, for the better. If you are not experienced in setting up a boat there are riggers out there who can make the best of what you have. Paying a good rigger for a couple days work dialing in your boat is probably one of the most cost effective things you can do for your boat for speed and handling.

It is not surprising for a properly rigged boat vs an improperly rigged boat to pick up 5-10 mph. Without any engine work!

If you would like any more information don't hesitate to give us a call.

Matt
I sent you a pm, thanks Jeff
Old 01-01-2005, 01:48 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Loe, thanks for the advise, I found the threads you were talking about, 35 hp gains, and 50-80 hp gains from another guy goin with dry sumps. Jeff

F311fr1, which motors from TMP do you have, and what kind of boat. thanks for the help. Jeff
Old 01-01-2005, 03:59 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jeff-Put a couple of 900 to 1000 horse motors in a 43 Nortech and I guarantee they'll put a permanent smile on your face. Only downside is the wind resistance from that ear to ear grin may cost you 1-2 mph! Is that Mayfair steering? With my Mayfair steering, the rams attach to the transom next to the mounting plates for the k-planes. Youve got a beautiful boat/boathouse,etc. Life is good in America! Lou
Old 01-01-2005, 09:15 PM
bob
Charter Member #40
Charter Member

Received 104 Likes on 51 Posts

Everyone I have discussed the V vs the VI switch with has pointed out the loss in speed with the VI due to the increased resistance due to the physical size of the gear case. Secondly, the weight of the VI is greater and it is all located off the transom moving the CG rearward. This may or may not be an issue, depends on the initial CG. However, the VI obviously has some nice advantages

Quick Reply: Whats the diff between a #5 and #6

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.