454 Merc overheating, PLEASE HELP!!! >

454 Merc overheating, PLEASE HELP!!!

Notices

454 Merc overheating, PLEASE HELP!!!

Old 01-04-2005, 07:53 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: 454 Merc overheating, PLEASE HELP!!!

Don't forget to unhook the speedo tube before removing the drive. Easiest to do it 1st since you can raise the drive with the rams.

Also, what does replacing the bellows have to do with the water supply? I'm thinking nothing!
Old 01-04-2005, 07:59 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just to eliminate 1 area. Are you SURE the inlet hose feeding the sea water pump (the one on the bottom and to the side of the motor) is a hard wall hose? You will not be able to squeeze it by hand if it is the right hose.
Old 01-04-2005, 08:19 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by US1 Fountain
Just to eliminate 1 area. Are you SURE the inlet hose feeding the sea water pump (the one on the bottom and to the side of the motor) is a hard wall hose? You will not be able to squeeze it by hand if it is the right hose.
Doing the garden hose test will tell if this hose is the prob too as there will be virtually no suction pressure present. I forgot about the speedo tube, mine has never been there.

BT
Old 01-05-2005, 12:37 AM
Registered

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

I would try to pressurize the cooling system, and see if it holds pressure. Block the outlets, and pressurize the intake. There is a nice gadget for use with automotive cooling systems, with a hand pump and pressure guage. You pressurize the system, and see that the guage doesn't go down due to a leak. You may be able to adapt it to your system with a bit of ingenuity. With water in the cylinders, it sounds like water is probably backing up from the exhaust side, especially since you notice this when you shut off the engine (no more exhaust blowing the water out).

Good luck!

Michael
Old 01-05-2005, 12:45 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,932 Likes on 971 Posts

Dirthead, didn't you pull the drive when you pulled the engine????? I guess not.

I guess it could be done if you have enough room to move the engine forward. The drive will have to come off anyway to put the engine back in. You have to check alignment on the drive with an alignment tool. You actually adjust the angle/position of the engine in relation to the drive. This is crucial to the life of your coupler(where the drive goes into the engine). You might also consider replacing the coupler since the engine is out.

A lot of good replies so far, and the problem could be caused by a number of them or a combination of them.
If I were you I would replace the hose from the gimbal to the sea pump and rebuild the sea pump with a full kit that includes the new housing. These may not necessarily be the cause, but they could be contributing to the problem.
Old 01-05-2005, 12:46 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

BTW, where do you live/boat in Iowa????
Old 01-05-2005, 06:17 AM
Registered

We are in SE Iowa, and typically boat at Lake Rathburn. Red Rock and Lake Coralville once in a while. We try to hit the Ozarks a few times a year.

How about you?
Old 01-05-2005, 02:53 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Mo River and LOTO a few times a year. I only live about 8 miles from the river and my marina.
Old 01-07-2005, 06:41 AM
Registered

Anymore suggestions??? I appreciate all the ideas, however most of them have already been looked into before I posted this initial question. I greatly appreciate all of your comments. If you have anymore, please fire away.
Old 01-11-2005, 09:25 AM
Registered

Any more ideas?

Quick Reply: 454 Merc overheating, PLEASE HELP!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.