Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
454 Merc overheating, PLEASE HELP!!! >

454 Merc overheating, PLEASE HELP!!!

Notices

454 Merc overheating, PLEASE HELP!!!

Old 01-14-2005, 02:38 PM
Registered

Location: Kentucky - where the women are so fast we have to put a governor on 'em!!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 454 Merc overheating, PLEASE HELP!!!

Have you checked ignition timing? Timing that is retarded will cause an engine to run hot, and this could also contribute to it dieseling when you shut it down while overheated - the engine will actually kick backwards for a rev or two, as BlueThunder mentioned. With prop exhaust this will most certainly suck water back up the exhaust into the cylinders. The little flappers might not be enough to stop this, either.

Just an idea...
Old 01-14-2005, 06:55 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't mean to insult anybody with this , but are you installing the thermostat upside down? This causes overheating pretty quickly.

Just a thought.
Old 01-14-2005, 07:55 PM
kennywould

Originally Posted by Dirthead
Anymore suggestions??? I appreciate all the ideas, however most of them have already been looked into before I posted this initial question. I greatly appreciate all of your comments. If you have anymore, please fire away.
I think this was mentioned before, check the head gaskets, most are not left and right they are made the same, the water holes have to be cut in the gaskets on the rear of the heads, they have one cut in but not both. I had a problem similar and the heads were cooking, not knowing the gaskets had to be cut for the water.....

Old 01-14-2005, 08:00 PM
kennywould

Originally Posted by sutphen30
your telling me you haven't found one thing wrong.well the thing shouldn't be over heating.theres something wrong there
One more thought, I run a water pressure gauge from the block, it will show if the water supply is getting cut off or restricted