how strong are bravo ones >

how strong are bravo ones

Notices

how strong are bravo ones

Old 01-05-2005, 09:40 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how strong are bravo ones

First thanks for the help so far on my engine build. After reading I started wondering if my bravo drive will take 600 to 650 hp. I don't race, just blast around the bay as fast as I can sometimes. Hoping to see upper 70's low 80's. Are there updates for this drive.
Old 01-05-2005, 09:59 PM
A to Z
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: how strong are bravo ones

bravo one will last on a 24 if you take it easy on it.... xr version is probably what you will end up replacing it with when it does blow...
Old 01-05-2005, 09:59 PM
Registered

It will take it, but not for long. Start looking for an upgraded drive or your season will be interrupted.
Old 01-05-2005, 10:00 PM
Registered

I would at least have your bravo torn down and looked at. If your gonna run hard, which I know you will, your Bravo will eventually puke. Take it easy getting on plane and try to keep the boat in the water. Check your drain plugs for signs of metal on the magnets and change your fluid more often. If you are careful, it may live. But I doubt it.
Old 01-06-2005, 12:10 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 884 Likes on 411 Posts

It should take 600hp for a while only pushing a 24 baja. when i first procharged my baja and could only turn a 26 pitch prop to mid 70's it was fine with stock drive,when i boosted it up to 8 psi,added headers and started spinning a 28 pitch it was only a few rides before bravo destructed,good luck Smitty.
What size motor/brand of supercharger?
Old 01-06-2005, 09:39 AM
Registered

Talking Re: how strong are bravo ones

I have a 24' Outlaw with a 540 cu. in. / 600 hp. I have never had a problem with my Bravo. I don't run wide open all day long either...I also baby the drive getting on plane (no jack rabbit starts) and make sure to throttle the boat if the drive comes out of the water to keep from shock loading the drive upon re-entry...

Drive smart, save your drive...
Old 01-06-2005, 11:54 AM
Registered

Be somewhat gentle when getting on and off the throttles. If leaving the water often go easy on re-entry and your Bravo I should work out OK for a while.

I agree with zt260, start looking for an upgrade drive. If you find one priced right go ahead and buy it. Then you're ready to go when the BI does go.
Old 01-06-2005, 11:57 AM
Registered

If anything, you can upgrade your bravo with XR gears. I wouldnt wait until your B1 lets go. It will most likely be in the middle of the bay with a boat load of people. And that, just plain sucks. Been there , Done that
Old 01-06-2005, 05:24 PM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

It is easier to upgrade now than fix a broken drive. It would be a good idea to have it torn down and inspected. If it needs fresh bearings and proper setup will help it live. Driving is the key for sure, but a properly built standard Bravo will live longer than some think. I put fresh bearings in my friends standard Bravo (1997 28' Checkmate) that he bought new. It had a stock 330hp motor in front of it for 3yrs and then a 588" motor in front of it for 4 yrs. The bearings were all shot.. couldnt believe he made it to the trailer the last time out. I put all new bearings and lower gears in it.. It has made it two seasons with out metal or trouble. So it can be done. He is making a lot more power than your 650hp, but it is NA..
Hope this info helps.

Dick
Old 01-06-2005, 06:13 PM
Registered

Run a 3 blade prop with a lot of slip.

I have 600's and it twists the prop shafts like candy canes.

Quick Reply: how strong are bravo ones

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.