Hull problem??? >

Hull problem???

Notices

Hull problem???

Old 01-13-2005, 08:19 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Hull problem???

Ya know, my standard response to porpoising questions is that boats don't porpoise, skippers do. I've always had luck finding the right combination of tab trim and drive trim for conditions. I can make a boat porpoise or stop porpoising.

But this thread makes me think that Kenny knows what the heck he is doing, and still has problems.

Huh. Guess I've been kinda lucky.
Old 01-13-2005, 09:31 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anyone can stop porpoising - trim in the drives or lower the tabs, sure....but both actions add drag and kill speed. Porpoising is simply the hull/trim setup creating more lift on the hull than the power can hold up....so at that given hull/trim setting either more power or less bow lift is needed.............
Old 01-14-2005, 08:11 AM
kennywould

Originally Posted by articfriends
Kenny,how loud is your boat? I imagine you must be running dry exhaust with that big ol cam. I have lightning headers on mine and the molded swim platform seems to muffle it alot,at least from the drivers seat!How tall of a prop have you tried,with the kind of torque your making i'm surprised your not spinning a 30 or 32 pitch,Smitty
Wellllllll.....It's noisy, have CMI headers, shotguns tamed it down at idle but its still noisy!
I used to yell at the ole lady runnin on plane until I put the shotguns on, now we can talk to each other. I kinda liked it before , could not hear any *****in! If your not familiar with CMI's they mix water right at the tails. I'm still messing with props, I'll find the right one one of these day's! I feel once I can get the hull straightened out, it will be easier to ook up the right prop!

Old 01-14-2005, 08:17 AM
kennywould

Originally Posted by fund razor
Ya know, my standard response to porpoising questions is that boats don't porpoise, skippers do. I've always had luck finding the right combination of tab trim and drive trim for conditions. I can make a boat porpoise or stop porpoising.

But this thread makes me think that Kenny knows what the heck he is doing, and still has problems.

Huh. Guess I've been kinda lucky.
Tried most everything, I can stop it from porposing with the tabs, but it kills my top end by 2 - 3 mph, if I pick up the tabs I pick up the speed, then the nose starts bouncing. I felt the trim tabs were put on there to plane the boat easier, or keep it planed at low speed, not to hide a hull problem, IMO.

Old 01-16-2005, 03:32 PM
GPM
Registered

Received 83 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by kennywould
Tried most everything, I can stop it from porposing with the tabs, but it kills my top end by 2 - 3 mph, if I pick up the tabs I pick up the speed, then the nose starts bouncing. I felt the trim tabs were put on there to plane the boat easier, or keep it planed at low speed, not to hide a hull problem, IMO.
Didn't I see that thing running 92?
Old 01-16-2005, 03:36 PM
kennywould

Originally Posted by GPM
Didn't I see that thing running 92?
That may have been the only time a cat was behind me! On the trailer!!!

Old 01-18-2005, 09:24 AM
GPM
Registered

Received 83 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by kennywould
That may have been the only time a cat was behind me! On the trailer!!!
In some states that counts!