Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Aftermarket Freshwater Cooling systems ? >

Aftermarket Freshwater Cooling systems ?

Notices

Aftermarket Freshwater Cooling systems ?

Old 01-09-2005, 03:45 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket Freshwater Cooling systems ?

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the great help so far!
I have been doing some research on freshwater cooling systems. Is there any thing I should know. I want to do a full system. I need one capable of cooling 350-400 hp. Here is a link of one of systems I have found http://www.oceaneastmarine.com.
Old 01-10-2005, 05:17 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Aftermarket Freshwater Cooling systems ?

Contact the system manufacturer for recommendations on what heat exchanger will handle the heat output of a 400+ hp engine.

A full fresh water system is best for salt water running. It'll save the exhaust manifolds from corrosion, along with the aluminum intake and keep the block from filling with scale and rust. Just be sure to use a cast iron or stainless risers because they will be exposed to salt water corrosion as that's where the discharge water will exit.

You will need to install a separate engine mounted raw water pump (Bravo drive type) with a transom water intake and a sea strainer. The stock Alpha water pump will not be able to provide enough water flow to cool a closed system.
If you do bypass the Alpha pump do not remove the stock internal impellor. The Alpha drive is very dependant on the internal raw water flow to help keep the drive oil cool. You could rig the discharge to provide pressurized water for a drive shower.
Old 01-10-2005, 06:34 AM
Registered

Talking Re: Aftermarket Freshwater Cooling systems ?

This these guys http://www.perfprotech.com/ they only sell full systems and they have systems for BIG HP engines. And the Alpha will push enough water to cool a full system. Thats my set up and I run 10 to 15 Deg. cooler than before.

Good Luck.
Old 01-10-2005, 08:30 AM
Registered

Default Re: Aftermarket Freshwater Cooling systems ?

I live in Melbourne Fl and Oceaneastmarine is here (in Cocoa, FL). I've spoken to him and ordered GLM exhaust manifolds and risers from him and he is going to install for me.

So far he's been very knowledgeable, helpful and done everything he's told me he was going to do fro me. He has done some farily detailed design work on closed cooling systems and seems extremely well versed in subject.

I've got closed cooling on my SR357 MarinePower EFI 454's and run only in salt water. It's really the only way to go--salt or fresh because coolant (not raw water) circulates in block, exhaust manifolds and even riser spcer blocks. For freshwater boaters it seems like it would eliminate need to winterize the engine and manifolds and it keeps coolant/rust inhibitors in everything except risers. You'd probably still need to drain tranny, oil and powersteering coolers but beynd that no big pushup.

Also--I used Groko strainers on my systems and installed a flush kit you can buy that attache to top of strainer (replaces the strainer lid really) so you can run off hose, flush strainer and back-flush system to the thru hull fitting.

Let me know how your conversations with him go. By the way, his prices were very competitve.

Poorsche

www.Boatmat.com