Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Spare Tire Mount >

Spare Tire Mount

Notices

Spare Tire Mount

Old 01-23-2002, 01:19 PM
290PQ

Lightbulb Spare Tire Mount

I am just about finished with a complete rebuild on my trailer including all new brakes, wheel bearings,seals, sandblast & paint, new bunks. A buddy of mine came up with this idea, we welded a axle stub to the upright that the winch is mounted to and added a complete hub assembly then bolted the spare tire to that.
I now have a complete spare hub assembly with me all the time including bearings and seal.
I'm sure this has been done before but i thought it was a great idea. And can be done for about $50-$70. It's a lot better than trying to chase parts in the middle of the night on some deserted highway!

Old 01-25-2002, 06:58 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just did the same thing, steel plate with axle stub welded to it, then through bolted to 2x5 tube @a point where a cross member is.Complete with brake drum,bearings,seals and spare tire.We had a bearing go out last year and were lucky enough to find a place close by with the parts.It's just not worth losing a day of boating for the stuff that can be carried along.Works good if you catch the bearing going out, my brother had one go out last year and didn't know it. By the time someone saw it the axle was toast.
Old 01-26-2002, 12:21 AM
ducHunter

29OPQ,
Just ordered a new trailer with the the same type of system. I ordered a new King galvinized with a flush kit for the brakes as well. I thought that having a complete bearing and hub system with you at all times is a great idea. Just think what it would be worth to the guy on the side of the road on a hot weekend!
duc'Hunter