Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
496HO Coupler and water pump price shock >

496HO Coupler and water pump price shock

Notices

496HO Coupler and water pump price shock

Old 09-23-2009, 10:32 AM
NoQuarter

Originally Posted by GO4BROKE
Thats the right number. I got a hold of them today. They are out of stock on the ss end plates. They were to call me today and tell me when they will be in. Hopefully I will hear tomorrow.
I installed the R and R kit this spring and love it. If and when the plates start to groove, they can be turned over and are like new again... two uses for only one price! You will have to modify the mounting bracket, but there are instructions and it's no big deal.

Old 09-28-2009, 02:21 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I had a new pump and impeller installed, mechanic said it was scored really bad, for about $700. My next question is....I have heard that the old pump cant be sent somewhere to be replaced...i.e. fix the scoring...is this true? My second question is should I install a sea strainer even with the stock water pick ups?
Old 09-28-2009, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by LAKESIDE RESTORATIONS
Good point Ray & I agree.. I have also seen a good amount of the 496 Heat exchangers get Chit in them & cause restrictions from lack of using a strainer.. Strainers are a very good idea & will help to cut down on unnecessary wear & issues Jamie / Lakeside
What is the best way to flush out the Exchanger on 496 ho? Also, when you remove the end caps is that opening the raw water side (Sea water) or fresh water side (Engine Coolant)?
Old 09-28-2009, 04:01 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by bcoffield
What is the best way to flush out the Exchanger on 496 ho? Also, when you remove the end caps is that opening the raw water side (Sea water) or fresh water side (Engine Coolant)?
I would assume when the end caps are removed that is the raw water side as there is no coolant in there.
Old 03-29-2010, 10:59 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Raylar
These pumps are actually made by Jabsco, except on the 496 Mercury has a special back coverplate section which holds the water pressure sensor and drain plug. This part can be used over. Just match the front part of the pump with the same Jabsco unit and switch the back cover and you are in business for about half that amount. Hope this helps.
Rya @ Raylar
hey ray,,,,can you come up with a part number for the jabsco your talking about in this post???