Notices

454 MPI stalling

Old 01-23-2005, 04:51 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs up Re: 454 MPI stalling

Originally Posted by BUIZILLA
I removed the little screen from the regulator outlet and it frickin' PURRRRRS... now I have 50-51# idling, and it's never sounded this good, been this responsive, or been this smooth. I also changed the fuel filter again. It had 43-44 when I started it back up, then slowly creeped to 50-51 and is steady as a rock right there. Still seems a little high, as I would think with vacuum disconnected it would be 43, and connected it would be 38 or so... fuel pump sounds normal now, typical whine... vacuum source is/was on and tight. What a ***** getting those two little regulator screws in and out though... DAMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, little blood on that move. It's 74* right now and sunny, may be a boating day still ??
Thanx guys, your the best.

Jim
I had a customer with your same symptoms and too much fuel pressure was the problem because of that little screen. Glad we could help!
Old 01-23-2005, 05:27 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 454 MPI stalling

Great to hear you got it fixed. Always cool when people post the outcome. I love this site.
Old 01-23-2005, 06:29 PM
instigator
Platinum Member

I have zero idea why that screen is there on the return side, being as it's filtered fuel already into the pump, and the return line goes back to the filter inlet housing anyways... purty dumb idea actually. It runs soooo smooth now, it's incredible. I decided to continue in maintenance mode and checked the impeller just 4 grins, found it was cracked on every blade, and 3 blades were missing completely right to the hub. Never ran over 160* yesterday, still pumps good water out the pipes... Backflushed both cooler(s) and inlet lines for debris. One blade went somewhere, one was in the inlet slot and one in the outlet slot. Dealer said he put a new impeller in it b4 I bought it in October, but this pump has never been opened up since 1998 new, it's a sealed and factory painted original pump... what a liar that Boats 'N Such A******* was. Good thing I checked the impeller b4 going out again. Boat now has only 68 original hours, and it's extremely clean.

thanx again, Jim
Old 01-23-2005, 06:34 PM
AT Cult Member #3
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Was the pressure regulator screen dirty?
Old 01-23-2005, 07:00 PM
instigator
Platinum Member

Good question R... dunno.... I dropped the dammm thing in the bilge due to it's bastard location under the motor mount. I haven't seen it since... I was more worried about not dropping those 2 miniscule metric screws than where that mini-mouse little filter was going to go.. Why does Mercruiser always hide basic maintenance items ?? if this was a tight twin boat, the engine would have had to come out to remove it. A lot of hassle for a $1.50 part.
Ed, I owe ya a case of beer. Lemme know, your close enough..

Jim
Old 01-23-2005, 07:50 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Smile Re: 454 MPI stalling

Originally Posted by BUIZILLA
Good question R... dunno.... I dropped the dammm thing in the bilge due to it's bastard location under the motor mount. I haven't seen it since... I was more worried about not dropping those 2 miniscule metric screws than where that mini-mouse little filter was going to go.. Why does Mercruiser always hide basic maintenance items ?? if this was a tight twin boat, the engine would have had to come out to remove it. A lot of hassle for a $1.50 part.
Ed, I owe ya a case of beer. Lemme know, your close enough..

Jim
Glad it was something I had run into before. The 34' SeaRay I worked on was so cramped that I had to remove part of the exhaust so I could fit down between the engines to change that damn little screen. Had it been the other side, the generator was in the way.

While I cursed and swore during the whole job, it was worth it all when I saw how nice that engine ran!
Old 01-23-2005, 08:02 PM
Registered

So, does this mean I need to order you an impeller kit along with the Racor??
Old 01-24-2005, 09:18 PM
Registered

what? no rasta to crawl under the motor and retreive lost parts?

Root
Old 01-24-2005, 09:34 PM
Registered

Rastamon be busy openin boxes don cha know...
Old 04-27-2005, 07:03 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you put a new screen in or cayou just pull the oring off and replace without the screen???

Quick Reply: 454 MPI stalling

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.