Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Retrofitting a pad to an existing hull... >

Retrofitting a pad to an existing hull...

Notices

Retrofitting a pad to an existing hull...

Old 01-25-2005, 09:37 PM
A to Z
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Retrofitting a pad to an existing hull...

Originally Posted by twinn29
doesnt legend have it that Reggie attached a pad of his own design to the bottom of some Excaliber molds that he bought to create the first Fountain.......??

somebody around here should know this.............doug

then he glued the beak to the front....
Old 01-27-2005, 11:29 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Been there done that i may even have a picture to prove it I added a pad to the bottom of a step boat once was very incognito, unfortunately it was never really given time to test to it's maximum ability. This boat was already running over 100 mph and it didn't really add what i had hoped, I am a lover of the Steve Stepp Velocity bottom which i could be wrong but i beleive influenced the reggie boat. used to have a 32 velocity with 454 mags (carb) 350 propshaft HP ea. I ran that boat in the shootout with some over the hub Chopper props from a friend s outboard boat, was a little weird to get on plane but ran 80 MPH flat on Radar.. let me know what other v pad or not has done that. Let me know what type of boat you have and what the bottom looks like now to ponder thoughts of wether or not it would be a good idea. i will look for some pics if i can find time. the pad will raise the boat higher in the water helping reduce drag from the hull and drives, In closing sounds like a great idea to me.
Old 01-27-2005, 12:54 PM
Registered

The pad on my 1984 Excalibur (an early reggie pad) is more or less like whacking off the bottom of the v. So just take your boat off the trailer and drag it around the parking lot a few times and then smooth it out with a DA!

But seriously, its alittle bit of cutting the tip off the V and adding a little also.
Attached Thumbnails Retrofitting a pad to an existing hull...-p1010084.jpg  
Old 01-27-2005, 01:08 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I think that You need a twin engine for best results so you don't 'fall off' the pad chine walking.
Old 01-27-2005, 08:15 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

So, did you get your answer?

I don't know either.
Old 01-27-2005, 08:32 PM
Registered

That's the trick learning how to drive by the feel so you can stay on the pad and pass people. Cobra marty if you could give me a number i would like to talk with you about your boat and dyno, i am working on a single engine 30' cat of my own design now, wondering what power and performance you are getting. Also if you cut off the vee you are esseentially sticking the drives deeper in the water. I went for a ride with Steve Stepp once in a 32' Velocity and i thought i knew how to drive but when it fell off the pad i was steering with it causing it to chine. You need to feel the boat with your butt in the bolster then steer to keep it feeling right. once i figured it out it is fast and you can go over cross wakes totally flat if your steer [properly, full hydraulic steering a must.