Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Drive recommendations >

Drive recommendations

Notices

Drive recommendations

Old 01-26-2005, 07:26 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Drive recommendations

Looking for some input on an outdrive swap. I picked up an early 80's Squadron XII 27' and I'm looking to update it. Would like to put a "not too hot" 540- (550-600 HP) in it and I need to decide on a drive. Boat has nothing now.

I'm concerned about the strength of the Bravo as well as the cost. Am I better off putting a TRS back in there and have a somewhat bulletproof but obsolete setup? It seems like I could put a SSM3 in it for what a used Bravo XR would run.
Old 01-26-2005, 07:36 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Smile Re: Drive recommendations

Are the holes plugged in the transom?
If you're starting fresh, then I think you'd be better off with the Bravo or XR set-up.
The TRS is not that happy with 600 hp and you have the engine further forward because of the transmission. The TRS is heavier too, which would affect a smaller boat.
A lot depends on if this will be a "keeper" or something you plan to sell. The non-obsolete hardware is much more attractive on the resale market.
I remember that boat and it never had the chance to have a Bravo drive in those days. I think it would really be a nice package.

Last edited by Edward R. Cozzi; 01-26-2005 at 07:37 AM. Reason: misspelling
Old 01-26-2005, 09:50 AM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Re: Drive recommendations

1. LETS SEE PICS.
2. Get a KONRAD 540.
Old 01-26-2005, 10:26 AM

Maybe I'm misreading the Bravo thing. I see so much posted about them it makes me a bit nervous.

I've beaten the hell out of a few sets of TRS drives over the years and NEVER had problems- even nearing 600HP. They got new oil every 20 hrs and looked at/re-shimmed every 100. The old 3's on my apache never caused a problem either.

I'm looking to hang onto the boat but I'm not looking to end up with "new boat" money in it. I'm not terribly hard on equipment and the plan for this boat wouldn't be to operate it in big water or hammer it out of the hole a dozen times every afternoon. At the same time, I want to be able to use it reliably- I have two teenagers that are nonstop consumers of cash. I don't need a third!!

The boat is no lightweight to start with- my experience with big boats and up-sizing drives (trs to ssm) never seemed to cause a loss (not much anyway) Am I off base thinking about putting a 3 on it? It looks like I might find a used one for less dough than a used XR- it appears demand for the bravo is much higher.

At the end of the day, the whole thing has to make sense, $$ wise. I see plenty of nice Cig 28's that would fill the bill in and around the $30K range. If I end up with $20K in hardware then have to do a bunch of work, maybe this dog just doesn't hunt.

Transom is cut on the boat.
Old 01-22-2006, 11:52 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Chris, any drive progress on the squadron?? Eddy
Old 01-23-2006, 10:07 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Arneson 6 for $16,500.00 you get new Drive,Trim Pump,Trans and Steering with Helm .