Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
are carb spacers worth 200 bucks ? >

are carb spacers worth 200 bucks ?

Notices

are carb spacers worth 200 bucks ?

Old 01-31-2005, 08:16 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: are carb spacers worth 200 bucks ?

What will the difference be between the one inch and the two inch power wise? Will it affect jetting alot?
I bought the two inch mad by HVH. I was trying to regain some of the low end that my combo is lacking. Have not tried it yet.
Old 01-31-2005, 08:26 PM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

If I remember correctly I wanted to try some of these special 1" spacers like the Wilson and HVH Super Sucker about 2 years ago, but they didn't have any availabe in composite material (whatever it is) to keep the carb from getting heat soaked----they only had metal or hollowed out plastic. Instead I bought a couple of 1" 4-hole composite spacers and had JimV whittle a couple up for me to mock the high dollar ones a few years ago. JimV only charged me about $35 each.
Old 01-31-2005, 10:05 PM
Registered

Received 94 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by KAAMA
If I remember correctly I wanted to try some of these special 1" spacers like the Wilson and HVH Super Sucker about 2 years ago, but they didn't have any availabe in composite material (whatever it is) to keep the carb from getting heat soaked----they only had metal or hollowed out plastic. Instead I bought a couple of 1" 4-hole composite spacers and had JimV whittle a couple up for me to mock the high dollar ones a few years ago. JimV only charged me about $35 each.
so did it make any difference??????????????
Old 02-01-2005, 09:55 AM
Registered

I've got a pair of Wilson spacers, 1.75in. For the 4500's. New, $100 ea.
Old 02-01-2005, 10:44 AM
Banned

Spacers for the most part will help, but unless you have a dyno to actually see what the changes are you won't know. Most dyno guys will have spacers on the wall to try with an engine. "Point of purchase" if they make a good increase.

Chris
Old 02-01-2005, 12:28 PM
Registered

10 hp on the dyno is nothing on the speedo. I did it on my 454 Mag, only caused a too lean situation, especially on cold engine.....I would rather invest the money on the prop...and you have to adapt your fuel line as well...not worth it in aboat....just my 2cents.......
Old 02-01-2005, 04:53 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Spacers are a great tuning aid. They are used to make up for problems within the system. A 40 HP gain would generally only be seen when parts were mismatched, and the spacer was able to help overcome this.
As a rule of thumb a 4-hole, or tapered spacer will increase the air velocity going through the engine. This will make the engine think it has a slightly smaller carburetor, cam or intake. Generally it will richen up the carburetor, and improve the bottom end torque, and throttle response. It can also move the power band down lower in the RPM. While an open spacer will do just the opposite, increase the top end HP, and move the power band up higher in the RPM.
The thicker the spacer the more of an affect it will have on the combination. The only way to know specifically how it is going to work is to actually try it. With the amount of HP it takes to see a MPH difference in a marine application, you’re probably not going to see much, if anything. What a spacer can do on a marine application is help your jetting, and distribution in the engine, help with your acceleration, and possibly help try to match your WOT RPM with the prop you’re currently running.
Old 02-01-2005, 05:29 PM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

I guess everyone has their own theory or motives, but I am a true believer in that while as long as it doesn't hurt it, every little bit helps. It can be a combination of a lot of little things I suppose.
Old 02-02-2005, 10:43 AM
Registered

I'm constantly amazed on the resources that this board can summon.

Thanks to all.

Bryan
Old 02-02-2005, 12:56 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think carbs are worth $200 why in the heck would spacers be?

Roby

Quick Reply: are carb spacers worth 200 bucks ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.