Notices
View Poll Results: Best brand GPS for accuracy and digital or analog?
Livorsi digital
9.52%
Livorsi analog-needle
28.57%
Gaffrig digital
9.52%
Gaffrig analog-needle
14.29%
Nordskog digital
19.05%
Nordskog analog-needle
0%
Other?
23.81%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

GPS survey

Old 02-09-2005, 09:32 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: GPS survey

The handheld is a Garmin. I had one before I bought this boat. It can run on the batteries or the 12V cord connected under the dash. Garmin makes a cable for most of their handhelds for connection to 12 V and data leads for PCs and other devices that can read GPS data. Figured I would save a few bucks by not buying the GPS receiver since most GPSs have data outputs and I was looking for a project.

I like the handheld so I can take it with me to check speedos in other boats. The data cable on the handheld can be connected to a PC so that you can download software updates on the net and then transfer them to the handheld. I also updated my GPS to another model and I was able to save my waypoints on my PC and transfer them to the new GPS. If anything happens to my waypoints, I keep a backup on my PC. I'm sure this all can be done on dash mounted units.

The speedo is a 120 by Livorsi (Gaffrig). All my gauges are Livorsi. When I ordered my gauges to rig the boat, is was cheaper to buy the GPS than it was to buy a liquid speedo and a good pilot tube, plus I run in log infested rivers most of the time and the tubes tend to bend or break.

If you plan on using a GPS like I did, make sure the GPS does not have a maximum speed that is too low and that the output is compatible with your speedo. Garmin did make a change in the data output by inserting preceding "0"s in the speed field and I had to update the firmware in my speedo for $75. I had to do all the troubleshooting with a data analyzer to figure this out. Livorsi was very supportive about the update after I told them what my problem was.

I would recommend buying the kit unless you like electronic projects.

Last edited by rbtnt; 02-14-2005 at 09:13 PM.
Old 02-14-2005, 04:21 PM
GPM
Registered

Received 83 Likes on 61 Posts
Default Re: GPS survey

Originally Posted by Harper220
I'm looking for just a speedo with a recall, but I can't decide between the digital display or the analog with the needle.
The digital is nice it reads from 0 to 200mph in 1/10 increments. It is a lot easier to read a 1 inch number than a little needle if you are running over a hundred. The Gaffrig memory eraces if you turn the key off after a test. Buy the kit and keep the dash clean.